From:
Geri Weitzman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1993 18:28:48 -0400
Message for Karl,

Thanks for describing all the nuances of your first day with your first ferret,
when all is new and fascinating... it brought back lots of memories. After a
year of being with our pair, they still find innovative ways to charm us.

You spoke of the possibility of getting another ferret, and of your first test
run going less than encouragingly. I'm no expert, but I'd have been a bit sur-
prised if you reported that they hit it off together right away. Ferrets are
quite the little territorial creatures, and when introduced to each other it is
a very nervous and uncertain time for both. Fighting and scenting often is the
course until they are used to each other... then dominance and personal space
and cohabitation "laws" become set. Ferrets have thick skin and are fierce
fighters, and I've been told that unless they draw blood, let them fight it
out between them else the peace will take that much longer to happen.

We'd had Wednesday as an "only kit" from 10 weeks of age for about 3 months
when Roddenberry was introduced into our household. Rod was about 4.5 years
old and of indeterminate origins but had most recently been the sole housepet
of an impoverished family in Chicago. He wasn't exactly neglected, but he was
not in super shape - I don't think they knew what to feed him and all - and he
was a slow-moving, jittery little guy. Wednesday freaked upon their introduc-
tion, and as a manic little kit she was much the stronger. We did decide to
separate them after they'd fought for a short while at a time, since it was
not a fair match. When we were out we'd put one in the cage and one out,
switching turns so they both could explore unbothered. We'd let them both into
the room when we were around to keep an eye out for them. Meanwhile, we worked
on getting Roddenberry well fed and stronger. They got used to each other and
pretty soon Roddenberry was able to hold his own in the skirmishes. They began
curling up together to sleep, and they never did stop fighting but it became
more of a playful pastime for them - hide-and-seek-and-pounce is something they
seem to enjoy a lot before conking out in a cute little yin-yang of silver and
albino fur together.

I think it is well worth the initial trouble to all to get a second ferret.
We noticed that Wednesday became much more social and friendly than she had
been before Roddenberry arrived, once they got used to one another. And Rod-
denberry got exercise and put some muscle on those raggedy bones, and seemed
a lot less jittery than he'd been when he arrived. The companionship is good
for them to have for the times when you can't be paying attention to them.

Anyway... this is my experience with ferret introduction, for what it's worth.
If other people could share their experiences to either contradict or lend
weight to this account, I bet that would help Karl in his decision whether to
acquire ferret #2 or not.

Good Luck!
Geri  :)