From:
Anatole Mori <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 23:36:33 -0600
I wonder if other people have noticed that one of the reasons ferrets may
choose to avoid using the litter box is avoiding the poops of recent
arrivals.  Pandora, my first ferret, used the litter box faithfully until I
adopted Mookie.  Mookie, the junior partner, loved to go where Pandora went
but the feeling was not mutual.  Pandora subsequently joined the 75% club,
whereas Mookie was very good about using the box, even running across
several rooms to get to one.

About two years after Pandora died I decided to get another ferret.  With
the arrival of Sabrina the process has started all over again, although now
it is Mookie (ever vigilant up to this time) who seeks out a special corner
of the bathroom to call her own.  Sabrina has no qualms about using the box
with Mookie, but Mookie is rather reluctant to share.

All these ferrets were kits when I first got them (at four months Sabrina
was the oldest, the other two were around seven weeks); kits seem to like to
follow in the footsteps of their elders, who are less enthusiastic about the
new arrangements.

I can't imagine what it would be like with a dozen ferrets: either ferrets
must cease to be so fastidious or this explains references to having dozens
of litter pans (aside from the obvious reason: having a large house).

Just thought I'd mention it.
* Anatole Mori                *                                         *
* [log in to unmask]   *  And I note here the little beat my     *
*                             *  heart once missed, in my home, when a  *
*                             *  fly, flying low above my ash tray,     *
* c/o Classical Philology     *  raised a little ash, with the breath   *
*     Box I Faculty Exchange  *  of its wings.                          *
*     University of Chicago   *                                         *
*     Chicago, IL  60639      *                      Samuel Beckett     *
*     (312) 702-2564          *                                         *