From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:31:12 -0400
Given the recent ferret mistreatment and outright abuse incidents, I
thought I'd make folks aware of a workshop on November 6, which will be
held in NH.  The information may also be useful to others who are too far
away to attend, but may want to set up something similar in their areas.
If there is anyone who would like to attend this workshop, email me and I
can give you the registration details.  Anyone wanting to set up a similar
workshop in their states/areas can probably contact HSUS directly (Randall
Lockwood is VP, Training Initiatives).  BIG guy, I hope you will let this
one through, even though it is not exclusively ferret-related.

The workshop is titled: First Strike: Breaking the Cycle and Exploring the
Connection between Animal and Human Abuse.  It's being sponsored by the
Upper Valley Humane Society, WISE (Women's Information Services), and the
Humane Society of the United States.  Topics will include: The Roots of
Cruelty and the Psychology of Abuse, The Family Perspective, The Animal
Perspective, Intervention and Legal Issues, Prevention and Education, and a
discussion group topic: Where do we go from here?

Conference objectives are stated as: Recognition and discussion of the
connections between animal cruelty and violence towards humans.
Identification of indicators of abuse to animals that may signal violence
against humans.  Creation of opportunities for interaction between
professionals involved in animal protection and their counterparts in human
services dealing with abused children and domestic violence.  Exchange of
information with law enforcement officials and the court system on the
seriousness of animal cruelty cases in the larger context of family and
societal violence.  Establishment of a local network of animal protection
and human service providers to offer support, cross-training, intervention
strategies and community education.

The brochure notes that half of the women seeking protection from domestic
violence have had a pet threatened or killed as one part of their abuse.
This is sad, but not really surprising.  Many shelter operators have
probably seen such cases come through their doors.

Again, if any one wants registration info for this workshop, email me at

Karen
Do what you want, do what you wish.  It's your life but remember this.
There's bound to be some consequences, sneaking under other fences.
Then what?  Whatcha gonna do when the new wears off and the old shines
through, and it ain't really love and it ain't really lust, you ain't
anybody anybody's gonna trust.  Then what?  Where you gonna turn when
you can't turn back for the bridges you've burned, and fate can't wait
to kick you in the butt. Then what?
                                                -- Clay Walker
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html