From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:17:31 -0800
Someone responded to my question....
>I understand that when flying ferrets (sorry via airline) you must always
>have certain paperwork.

Thanks, but the paperwork is the easy part, what I wanted to know was which
airlines accept fuzzies as "carry-on".  Also a guestimate on prices.  After
several emails back and forth, the fuzzies owner wants to keep working with
her for a little while to see if she can help the ferret to change her
biting ways, if that does not work, then I will take the ferret.  Then I may
need this information.

Someone also said:
>Marshall doesn't sell to the public.

I cannot verify that they do or do not, but regardless, there ARE folks
buying fuzzies *direct* by the dozen and re-selling them as pets.  These are
tatood like MF ferrets, and have the same guarantee and paperwork, and the
folks selling them say they come from MF.  These folks are not operating a
pet store, only "selling them" out of their home as a "fun learning
experience" for their childern <AAAARRRGGHHHH!!!!!>.

>Subject: Re: Shelters
>I was shocked when I realized how many ferrets end up as unwanted pets and
>are abandoned at shelters every year.  ... I cannot believe how many ferrets
>are produced by big breeders like Marshall Farms every year!  I don't
>understand who these breeders think their market is...... but where do they
>all go?

A few end up in happy homes with folks willing to learn and provide properly
for them.  Many get passed around from one lousy ferret owner to another.
Some wind up at shelters, and these are often the *lucky* ones.
Many...well, you really don't want to know what happens to those :(

The number of ferrets that go through shelters IS STAGGERING!!  I encourage
all of you to contact your local ferret shelter or club and support them
regularly in whatever ways you can.  If it is nothing more than donating a
roll of paper towels or a bag of litter, that will help far more than you
realize!!

If there are no clubs or shelters in your city, PLEASE start a club
yourself!!  It can be done.  Then go to your local animal shelter and let
them know you can help find homes for any ferret they get in.  (Many animal
shelters automatically euthanize ferrets because they have no clue what to
do with them, or who to call, and are afraid to adopt them because of some
(false) "rumor" about ferrets being mean that they have heard.) In some
cities, if you call yourself a ferret shelter (whether you have any city or
state recognized organization or not) they will "release" the fuzzies to you
without problem or question ;)

>From:    Kelly White <[log in to unmask]>
>Funny how when you really need an on-line resource, you can't even log on...

Best way to avoid this awful situation is to plan ahead and "download" the
info you may need in the future and keep it on hand...that is what the FAQ's
were partly designed for.  You can also develop your own "database" in a
simple hand-written address book of phone numbers of folks who can help out
in a crisis.  Check Pam Grants list through Ferret Central for all those
names, addresses, phone numbers.  If you rely upon these tempermental
computers and screwy on-line services exclusively, you may be in trouble :(

>my mom offered to come and pick him up and take care of him this week
>(she's off work and loves Mayn Mayn anyway).

Sounds like a good *temporary* solution to me, but your fuzzzy needs to see
a vet!!

>reliable vet in San Antonio, but I would like to know what tests might
>be most useful so we don't overdo it (in the past few months I've spent
>about $400 on these diagoses).

THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING YOUR LOCATION!!!

The best thing you can do for Maynard (and for the financial worry about
unnecessary tests/treatments) right now is get him to a vet who *knows* what
he is doing with the fuzzies!!  I happen to know a vet in the San Antonio
area who has roughly 600 ferrets in his practice and is absolutely
wonderful!!!  His name is Dr. Gates, his number is 210-658-6326.  If you
need further recommendation concerning him, contact Rick or Candi White at
the SAFE shelter at 210-661-9195, he treats ALL their shelter ferrets!  He
also has lots of experience with ECE as well.

Keep in mind, though, green poop does not always mean ECE.  You may be
dealing with a serious irritation from a partial blockage, infection, food
allergy (YES it is possible!!!), or stomach ulcer(s), and that is just off
the top of my head, there are probably many other posibilities, too.

If you need a good vet in Houston, I know three of those too!!  I hate to
compare *good vets*, but I guess I have to say that if it were MY ferret, my
first choice would be Dr. Gates.

Kisses to Maynard.

Trish