From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 1994 10:48:48 -0500
FERRET FAQ FOR NEW AND PROSPECTIVE OWNERS
Compiled and edited by Pamela Greene ([log in to unmask])
(version 1.1, 1/31/94)

This FAQ is being distributed to the FML in about 20 pieces in order to
encourage your comments and suggestions.  I'd also be happy to send you the
whole file; it's roughly 75kB, but I can split it into smaller segments if
your mailer has problems with large messages.

*** PART 14 of LOTS ***

4.4> How do I train my pet not to nip?

[begin PG]
Like kittens and puppies, ferret kits must be taught not to nip.  A
ferret which has been bred to be a pet shouldn't be vicious or bite,
but young ones often don't know how hard they can put their teeth on
you without hurting you.  Ferret play includes mock combat, but
ferrets have tough skin, so when they first begin to play with you
they won't know yours is any different from their littermates'.  A
playing ferret may run at you with his mouth open or even put his
teeth on your hand, but if he presses down hard enough to hurt, you
need to discipline him.

[begin AK]
We used a method other people on FML have also advocated: whenever the
ferret bites, you immediately flick its nose pretty hard and shout
"NO!"  Our vet told us to not be timid about this.  [...] The message
is you should do whatever you have to do to drum the lesson in.  When
we were training the ferret, we'd purposely stick our fingers or toes
near her mouth, and flick her nose if she "took the bait."  The good
part was that in about two weeks she was completely trained, and in
the following seven and a half years has never bitten anyone, even
little kids in the park who stupidly stick their fingers near her
mouth.  And we can safely brush her teeth with a cloth-covered finger.

[begin PG]
The "nose flicking" described here was also advocated by the ferret
farm where we got our second kit.  It's the same motion you'd use to
flick a bit of dust off your arm, or perhaps to play marbles (but with
index finger rather than thumb).  Like dogs, ferrets have sensitive
noses, but they're quite sturdy; you're not likely to injure one.  Be
careful to hit the end of the nose, though, since if you swat the top
you'll push the teeth further into your finger or toe.

For people who simply cannot bring themselves to bap their pets, it's
been suggested to carry a bottle of Bitter Apple around and spray it
in the ferret's mouth while he's biting you.  I'm not convinced this
is any better, since Bitter Apple in the eyes is bound to sting.

Positive reinforcement (giving treats) generally works better than negative
reinforcement, and cage time can be an effective punishment when
necessary.

4.5> I'm having problems litter-training my ferret.  What should I be
     doing?

[begin MW]
Limit the ferret's space.  Give him/her and area just big enough for
food, bed, and litterpan.  Normally, the ferret won't mess his/her bed
or eating area.  Once he/she is using that pan regularly, increase the
bed/food area.  As for outside-the-cage time, when you first release
your pet, follow him/her around and as soon as he/she starts backing
into a corner, plop him/her in a litterpan.  Another method is to
carry the ferret directly from cage to litterpan and keep putting
him/her in the pan until the deed is done.  Something else that might
help is putting a little old "deed" in a newly cleaned litter pan so
the ferret is reminded where to go.  Litter pans need to be fairly
clean or the ferret may get finicky.  Ferrets will pick their "potty
corners" so pretty much all you have to do is put litterpans in those
spots and your problem is solved.

[begin JG]
If you are having problems keeping your ferret from going in the
corner, try placing wadded-up blankets or rugs there.  Often the
ferrets will not realize that it is still a corner.

[begin PG]
Positive reinforcement (treats and praise) can be very effective, and
cage time usually works well as a punishment.  "Accident" corners
should be cleaned with bleach or another bad-smelling disinfectant
(don't let your ferret onto it 'till it dries!), specifically so they
don't continue to smell like ferret bathrooms but also as a general
deterrent. For the same reason, you probably shouldn't clean litter
pans with bleach, certainly not the same one you're using as a
deterrent elsewhere.

Although almost every ferret can be trained to use a litter pan, there
is individual variation.  Ferrets just aren't as diligent about their
pans as most cats, so there will be an occasional accident.  In
general you can expect at least a 90% "hit" rate, though some ferrets
just don't catch on as well and some do considerably better.  At least
the animals are small, so their accidents are pretty easy to clean up.

Ferrets also tend to lose track of their litter pans when they're
particularly frightened or excited, or if they're in a new house or
room.