Date:
Tue, 10 May 2011 10:25:32 -0800
In 2005, while living in Connecticut, I had two ferrets needing medical
attention. It was necessary to travel to Texas during that time, so I
asked a well-known ferret vet if he would see my ferrets, and he
agreed. Thus I became one of many who have traveled from other states
to the Dallas area to have their ferrets treated by well-liked and
respected veterinarian Dr. Jerry Murray. Having attended every
symposium, Dr. Murray has gained a following and the respect of
colleagues and ferret owners around the world.

One of five boys, Dr. Murray hails from the northeast, with a mother
from Boston and a father from Buffalo. He now counts a niece and nephew
as part of the family. Even with such northern roots, Dr. Murray was
a Texan from the start. When asked if he had a hero, he quickly
responded, "the 1970s Dallas Cowboys. As a child those guys were my
heroes!"

To this day sports continue to be one of Dr. Murray's greatest
pleasures. To relax, he spends his time watching sports. Does he have
a favorite team? Well, if it starts with Dallas . . . "Dallas Cowboys,
Dallas Mavs, Dallas Stars, Texas Rangers, college football, college
wrestling, etc, etc." If there is a Dallas team playing, you can find
him in the stands or in front of the television! If you friend him on
facebook, Dr. Murray will even keep you updated as the game progresses.

When not watching sports, Dr. Murray enjoys traveling, hiking/camping,
and wildlife photography. He has photographed polar bears, black-footed
ferrets, and bison, to name a few. And, his love of animals carries
over into his work. As a vet he leaned toward the unusual because he
was "always interested in exotic pets, so ferrets were the logical
choice for me." Moving from caregiver to ferret owner, Dr. Murray did
it the old-fashioned way. He bartered for them. What did he get in
return? "I vaccinated her roughly 30 intact ferrets and one pot-belly
pig."

Having been a vet so long, Dr. Murray has many memories. His visit to
Tennesse, for example, was to treat a snow leopard at the Knoxville
Zoo and a bald eagle. "The eagle was an Exxon Valdez oil spill
non-releasable survivor and part of a captive breeding program at
(Dolly Parton's) Dollywood." As a vet, he holds our pets' lives in his
hands, and holds as his most memorable ferret experience the act of
"repairing the vena cava the first time."

At the symposium Dr. Murray will speak on ADV in Ferrets. He will also
present a Friday night workshop on "Ferret First Aid" for shelter
operators. After that, he may be found listening to some classic rock
or country music. His taste may be because he lives in Texas or may
be because he "went to school with Garth at OSU." He can tell you all
about the time he met Willie -- and answer questions about whether or
not he has visited Willie's establishment or attends his annual party?
But if Dr. Murray had his way, he would sidle on up to "Lewis and
Clark or one of the fur trappers like Jim Bridger" and ask them a few
questions about their lives and "how they survived in the wilderness
back then."

If you would like to use this vet, you can contact him at:

Animal Clinic of Farmers Branch
14021 Denton Drive
Dallas, TX 75234
(972)247-2221

And don't forget to check out his monthly blog at
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/critter-blog/veterinarian-murray/murray-default.aspx>

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we