From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 00:53:35 -0600
As I write this, Buddy is lying on my lap in what appear to be the final
stages of dying.  I fear he will not make it until morning.  He is peaceful
and seems to not be in pain.  He is having a labored and rapid breathing,
and makes occasional squeaking sounds.

Buddy came to my home with Razz and Foster, all three adopted fromt he
Kansas City Ferret Shelter run by a great lady, Dr. Bobbie McCanse (I hope I
spelled her last name correctly).  Buddy was 6, Foster 8, and Rass about 3
years old.  Both Buddy and Foster were old and it was considered that they
couldn't accept other ferrets.  That was two years ago, and since then, they
have become part of the 18, playing and sleeping with other.  and having
great times.

Buddy has always seemed just a bit different; even his face looked strange.
He knew his name and would come if called, but he never seemed as sharp as
the others.  He loved to play, and especially loved to chase the "mouse" on
a string.  He wasn't quite the lap ferret, but would sleep in your arms once
he dozed off.  He was very affectionate, and absolutely loved three things:
cheese, ear scratches, and yes, raisins (although dried pineapple would do
in a pinch).  He played like a normal ferret with the other guys, but with
Razz, he was extremely gentle.  Razz had her claws amputated by a former
owner, and has always lacked the tools for ferret wrestling.  Both Buddy and
Foster seem(ed) to notice this, and would be very gentle in playing with
her.  Buddy would never bite Razz, but would bump her with his nose when
playing.

Buddy was a chocolate colored sable, but recently has lost about 2/3rds of
his fur due to advanced adrenal disease.  Ultrasound showed massive tumors
throughout the abdomen, and the (my) decision was to allow Buddy to live the
rest of his life in a dignified manner, without forcing him through surgery
or cramming semi-toxic drugs down his throat.  He is 8 years old, and
whatever time was gained by these invasive and painful proceedures would be
offset by pain and a general lowering of quality of life.  I decided to
allow him the dignity of a natural and peaceful death, in the arms of the
people who love him.

Until today, Buddy has been fairly active, although drinking (and urinating)
a lot.  He would explore, eat, and rarely missed the box.  But this evening,
he started wandering aimlessly around, and fell over.  Andrew called me at
work, and by the time I got home, Buddy had started having small
convulsions, and his body temperature had dropped 12 degrees (F).  He had
also lost body function control, and was covered with urine and feces.  I
cleaned and heated him up, gave him some warmed sub-Q fluids to offset the
dehydration, and rubbed some honey on his gums.  He has not responded to any
treatment.  A call (and trip) to the vet, and since he was not in pain, I
have decided not to euthanize him; however, I took home a needle full of the
stuff if his condition becomes painful.  In that case, I will administer the
shot myself.

I wrote the above about an hour ago.  Soon after, Buddy started to convulse
and scream.  After trying for 10 minutes to calm him down, it was clear he
was in serious pain, and so I elected to give him the shot.  He went into a
sleep, and died peacefully in my arms a few moments later.

Buddy was a sweet guy, and I shall miss him terribly.

Mo' Bob, the 17 Mo' Sad Ferts, and Buddy.