From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:34:11 -0400
BTW, I just found that in some places in Europe it is referred to as
AMDV:
> [...]
> 2 Royal veterinary and Agricultural University - Immunological
>   laboratory, Stigbojlen 7, DK-1870 Frederiksberg
> 3 UnitE Microbiologie et Pathologie infectieuse, ENVLyon, BP 83,
>   F-69280 Marcy l'Etoile
>
>European mink (Mustela lutreola) is rapidly declining in France as in
>the rest of its European range.  One of the hypotheses for this decline
>is the spread in wild populations of infectious diseases by feral
>American mink (Mustela vison).  In order to investigate a possible role
>for the Aleutian Mink Disease Virus (AMDV), a preliminary serologic
>survey of European minks in France...
>
>... results confirm that AMDV infection is present in European mink
>populations.  Hypergammaglobulinemia is suggestive of a progressive and
>enhanced stage of the disease in most of the infected minks.  The
>knowledge of the prevalence, distribution in south west of France and
>Spain and effects of this disease in smaller Carnivores, especially
>riparian species will be of importance for the conservation of the
>threatened European mink.

>ALEUTIAN MINK DISEASE PARVOVIRUS IN WILD RIPARIAN MUSTELIDS IN EUROPE
>MANAS, S.1; CENA, J.C.2; PALAZON, S.3; RUiz-OLMO, J.4;
>KATCHANOVSKY, V.5; KATCHANOVSKAIA, P.5; FOURNIER, P.6; DOMINGO, M.7;
>WOLFINBARGER, J.B.8 & BLOOM, M.E.8
>
> 1 Alexandre Gali, 2-1, E-08225 Terrassa, Barcelona
> 2 Estambrera, 13, 3-B, E-26006 Logrono
> 3 Departamento de Biologia Animal, Facultad de Biologia,
>   Universidad de Barcelona, Avda. Diagonal 645, E-08028 Barcelona
> 4 Servei de Proteccio i Gestio de la Fauna, Departament de Medi
>   Ambient, Dr. Roux, 80, E-08017 Barcelona
> 5 Central Forest Biosphere Nature Reserve, 172513, Zapovednik,
>   Nelidovo, Tver obl., Russia
> 6 Groupe de Recherche et d'Etude pour la Gestion de l'Environnement.
>   Les Bayles, F-33720 Budos,
> 7 Unidad de Histologia y Anatomia Patologica, Departamento de
>   Patologia y Produccion Animal, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona,
>   E-08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona
> 8 Laboratory of Persistent Viral Diseases, National Institute of
>   Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Rocky
>   Mountain Laboratories, Hamilton, Montana 59840, USA.
>
>Aleutian mink disease parvovirus (ADV) infections are widespread on
>mink ranches and in ferret populations worldwide.  In American mink
>(Mustela vison) ADV can cause different syndromes, depending on the
>virulence of the viral strain, as well as host factors...
>In order to investigate a possible role for ADV in the serious decline
>of native European mink (Mustela lutreola), we surveyed riparian
>carnivores... Pathology and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) results
>suggested that ADV infections are fairly common among free-ranging
>riparian carnivores in Spain, France and Russia.  ADV must be considered
>as one of the responsible factor in the declines in populations of
>European mink
>
>THE AMERICAN MINK AS A NEWCOMER - ITS INTEGRATION IN THE MUSTELID
COMMUNITY AND THE INFLUENCE ON ENDEMIC FAUNA AND DOMESTIC LIVESTOCK -
AN APPROACH

>DER AMERIKANISCHE MINK ALS NEUBURGER - SEINE INTEGRATION IN DIE
>MUSTELIDEN-GEMEINSCHAFT UND SEIN EINFLUSS AUF DIE ENDEMISCHE FAUNA
>UND DOMESTIZIERTE HAUSTIERE - EIN ENTWURF
>
>RAMME, S. & SCHROPFER, R.
>FB Biologie/Chemie, Abt  Ethologie, Universitit Osnabruck, Barbarastr.
>11, D-49069 Osnabruck
>
>The American mink Mustela vison SCHREBER 1777 was introduced... The
>American mink is known to transmit the Aleuthean disease, a virus on
>members of the mustelid family which is also known from ferrets.

There are more, of course, and if you look in the NZ document mentioned
you will find that some of the ADC positive animals they mention are
mentioned in such a way that it sounds like perhaps some of them came
to one NZ farm already infected from a Scottish ferret fur farm (though
certainly there already were infected NZ ferret fur farms.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org