Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 05:42:40 -0500
Well, abter albost dree yeards, I cad fidawy say I'b beed broberly iditiated
idto de Wodderful World ob Ferreds!  (pardod be while I take dis clodesbid
obb by dose so I cad talk broberly...)

The story opens....
Saturday, I get a message from a Renae who needs info on ferret rescue.  I
call the number given, & get the "boo-dee-dweep!  We're sorry, your call can
not be completed as dialed...." message.  Get home from church Sunday, &
find another message from Renae, same number.  Fortunately, she calls back &
I find out she's in a different area code & forgot to mention it.... Her
mother has ferrets that need a new home.  Mom loves ferrets, but is now
bed-ridden & on oxygen, can't take care of the ferrets any more, and to top
it off, is moving to Stanford U (hospital) in CA in a couple of days.... I
say, I can't buy ferrets - I do rescue/shelter work.  I then explained what
I do, & how the critters are cared for.

She says, Mom doesn't care about the money, she just wants them to go to good
homes.  We got your number from Valley Feed & you were recommended by a vet.

I say, OK, how many?

Five.  ( ! )

And, only one (!!!) is neutered/descented.  The others are breeders.  (Her
words - she just meant they were whole.)  So, 1 gib, 2 hobs, 2 jills.  The
whole animals were purchased recently from an auction in Houston.  Oh, and
they're all housed separately, to prevent any "problems."

Well, I said, I don't have enough cages to house them separately. Do you have
cages for them?

She said, That's ok - they're in pet carriers, & you can take the whole
thing - carriers, ferrets, bedding, food, etc.... Do you want me to bring
them to you, or meet you somewhere?

I said, I should probably pick them up, so that your Mom can sign the
release form, and so that she can meet the person who's taking her ferrets.

Oh, OK - good idea.  Here's directions on getting here..... (it's out in the
country)

OK, I'll be there after work on Monday.

Monday - a winter storm blows in, like we haven't seen here in a LONG time
(this is supposed to be the desert, for cryin' out loud!) - the worst hits
when I'm almost to their place, & I can't hardly see the road or any
landmarks for the blowing snow & ice everywhere.... but I'm so close that
it's easier to continue than to turn around.

Picked up the ferrets, talked with the Mom.  The ferrets were in small
carriers, one each - no room for litterpans, just newspaper & lots of old
clothes for bedding, bottles & supper dishes.  Normally they were kept
outside, and brought in for play time or for bad weather.  (Whew!) They were
in good condition, but needed baths & pawdicures.

Renae says, I just cleaned them out again this morning & put clean bedding
in.

It's so cold that I've got the heater going full blast on the vents to keep
the windows clear, & so icy that I can't drive more than 25-30 mph the whole
way home (almost 30 miles).  After a few miles, though, I HAVE to crack the
window...

Took almost an hour and a half to drive home.  Roads closed, detours,
flashing lights everywhere, etc.... and 5 excited ferrets, 4 of whom are
expressing their excitement through olfactory-affecting body language.... in
a small, closed vehicle...

I rearranged my other guys, divided one of the condos, made do, & got them
out of the little carriers before bed time (no way!  were they going to stay
in those tiny things...) & one of the jills tolerated being with the gib in
the same cage so I could squeeze everyone in.

And today, the baths - ad de wode liddle girl wad zo ubset dat de kidched
sbelled lige rodden odiods for sombe bidutes....

I'b areddy sbogen wid de bederinariad aboud gedding de zurgery daged gare ob
(oobs, pardod be - led be ged rid ob de clodesbid agaid...)

So, I'll get them in to get neutered as soon as I can, & they need their
vaccinations, also.  I'm debating descenting, since in this area that will
make them much easier to place - but I'm still undecided on that.  (I know
the arguments both ways - I'd like to NOT descent if I can get them to calm
down on the poofing in the next few days....)

Anyway, I guess I can now say I've finally been properly initiated.... <VBG>

Carla S.
WhyNot? Ferrets
Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club