From:
Kiffany Stanczyk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 17:10:31 -0500
Hello all!

I was looking through several publications on ferrets and am confused on
the vaccination schedule for canine distemper.  The book Ferrets for
Dummies by Kim Schilling states that kits need a series of three shots,
at either 8, 11, and 14 weeks or at 8, 12, and 16 weeks.

A publication from Marshalls, where my new kit is from, states that he has
received one dose already and that he needs "additional vaccinations at
9, 12, and 16 weeks."  That would make a total of four shots.  The health
record folder that I ordered from www.ferretstore.com states the vaccine
schedule at 8, 11, 14, and 16 weeks.

I would rather give the ferret 3 shots instead of 4.  I know that it is
good for them, but I always feel so bad when he gets a shot.  Are three
shots enough, like the schedule from Ferrets for Dummies or is it better
for them to have 4 doses?

He received his first from Marshalls, I assume when he was between 4-6
weeks.  What is the best vaccine schedule for him?  Some books say they
should receive a shot every 3-4 weeks until they are 16 weeks old.  Then
he would need 4 shots.

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kiffany

P.S.  the health records from the ferretstore are great!  they are a good
quaility cardboard like folder with spots for all of your ferret's vaccine
and medical information, it has a pocket to put papers in, a list and
symptoms of common ferret ailments, an anatomy chart of the ferret, and
duck soup recipe they cost $1.00

I would recommend that everyone get one to keep track of their ferret's
medial history