From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 22:00:00 -0800
We got all packed and were ready for just about everything.  We fixed Niko
up a mid sized carrier into a luxury travel compartment and I think he
liked it all except is was too close to the back stereo speakers.  We let
him our at just aout every stop to smell the dirt in each state.  Too bad
there weren't no other ferret butts to sniff.

We fought high headwinds and crosswinds at night on black ice frwys and
blowing snow going past Elk Mtn in WY and in 12 miles past Cedar City Ut,
something made me pull over and When I did, the temp ga shot up high and
she started smoking.  Another few miles and I could of lost the engine.
Dug out the extra coolant and limped back to town and bought a wate pump
and in the dark and the cold put on the water pump in 1 1/2 hours.

bone cold and dead tired, we made it to CJ's 24 kt shelter in Las Vegas
and she agreed to keep Niko while i went to Calif to get my niece and her
friend.  The girl at the AG station ask me if I had brought any ferrets
with me and I proudly said yes and said but you gotta find him.  Before
she could get started tearing the van apart, I whipped out my litle cute
stuffed toy ferret (I SAID TOY) which she then proceeded to tell me how
much she loves them and helps FA save them.

It was 4 am and only one lane was open and while we awere talking, a guy
behing me got impatient as tried to go around me.  He got yelled at by the
really nice lady at the ag station.  She loudly told him that he would be
able to go when I got done telling ferret stories.  shoulda sat there for
another hour.  (just kidding)

Without any sleep, went to Bellflower to pick up niece and her friend and
went to state line and got a room.  Got up in time to go protest and Poor
CJ, who was really sick came to protest with a couple of loyal volunteers.
It saddens me that she was the only shelter in Las Vegas Represented.  You
are not included here MC my friend.  I don't know who the other shelter is
in Vegas, but I would sure hate to be a ferret in your shelter when you
can't even come into your own town and support us in closing these stores
down.  I don't want to hear excuses, I , and the volunteers I had standing
there with me didn't make any excuses in driving through miserably
conditions for 2000 miles to help a cause in your town and CJ could hardly
stand she was so sick, yet we did what we could and by golly we did make a
difference there.

According to one lady who was there for two days, her husband is one of
the best friends of the mayor there and she got thrown out of the store for
no reason, before we had any dialogue with her.  At least a dozen folks
stopped by to tell us of animals bought there recently that just died
shortly after getting them home and even more came by to tell us they were
thrown out of the store for no reason.  she blocked traffic on a busy
thourough fare just to cuss us and threaten to sue us.  On the last day
there, I filmed my kids being thrown out of there for no reason.  I went
to the local animal control officer who was conviently parked in the
parkinglot writing guess who a citation for several violations.  After he
heard my horror stories of this place, he went in and wrote her up for
some more.

I, and the crew to went to Vegas to challenge this Pet Store want to thank
everyone for their donations, food, and hospitality while on this trip,
including the nice folks at Natures Way vitamins who welcomed me to their
co. Christmas party, and especially Sherry Nichols for the invitation.
It was lots of fun.

Niko, our shelter mascot got to play with new ferrets at CJs and in
Bountiful where I delivered a bag of TF.  He really enjoyed this trip and
I think we became really close on this trip.  He slept by my head at every
motel we stayed at.  On our last day in Utah, we were all packed up and
ready to leave when the master cyclinder went out on the van.  I drove
around for 1/2 hour with no brakes looking for a parts stores and finally
bought a new master cylinder and put it on.  We then drove straight through
to Home, Sweet Shelter, and was greeted by man yof my kids who I missed so
much while gone.  It was 4am, when I started to catch up my e-mail when I
read Wolfys post and nearly pee'd on myself with laughter.  wolfy, you are
too much girl!  I just might have to ask your husband if we can borrow you
on ur next road trip.LOL!

I hear that those folks in the Meadows pet store are catching a lot of
flack and they certainly deserve what they are getting I am still tired
and am going to go now,

Take care all, hugs,
Ferretguy