From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 09:50:14 -0400
Hi all!

I was reading Heather & Nathan's post, and I thought I might respond, both
as a shelter and a shelter with ECE.  I always try to let people know BEFORE
they come into our homes that we have the virus, period.  It doesn't go
away, its always there.  We have tried unsuccessfully for over two years to
get rid of it, but each new rescue that comes in develops the symptoms.
However, ECE can be mistaken for stress, since they share a lot of the same
symptoms.  (BTW, please don't look down on someone who has ECE.  We picked
it up at a ferret show in late 1992.) I believe that the virus is always
present in the animal, but in a remissive state, and is triggered by stress
or an lowered immune system.  Some of my own ferrets have shown the symptoms
up to four times a year.  I think I have my "typhoid Mary" narrowed down in
my household, but that doesn't solve the problem, unless I get rid of her
(which I won't!) and then there is no guarantee that she was the only
carrier.  I believe once you have had it, you will always have it.  Some
vets think that ECE may be related to the canine Coronavirus, so that is a
new direction to look for possible future vaccines.  I do not know of any
test that you can perform to predetermine if a ferret has been exposed to
ECE.  I do not blame you for being upset at the shelter, but sometimes
during an adoption there is so much to go over and everyone is so excited,
that things are missed or not said.  Thats why I have flyers of info on
food, water, cages, disease, recommended vets, toys, treats, etc so that I
can't forget to tell them!  So anyway, thats just my opinion.

KELLEEN!!!!!  thats so neat!  Aren't kits great?!?!<GGGGG>!  They have so
much energy and so little manners!!!  I'd love to help, but there is one
little problem- you are WAAAAY over there, and I am WAAAAY over here!  I
know how you feel about the rescues.  I scan the newspapers every day and
look for people giving up or selling their ferrets.  Its so sad to know that
there are still so many people willing to make a quick buck at the expense
of an animal.  I hope that the mom ferret will be okay, since that seems way
to fast to have another litter.  Have you asked her if she is for sale?  We
have a backyard breeder in this area with Albinos and I don't know when she
weans them, but we have gotten (so far, she's called us again for more
kits)1 adult female (whole) and four 6 mo old kits(all whole) from her, only
after the mom go so uncontrollable and the kits wouldn't sell!  ARGGHHH!  A
pox on them all!

on canine distemper, I can't say it enough, its just not worth the risk to
invest $12-15.00 on a vaccine.  Whether you use fervac or galaxy, its
important to protect your pets.

As far as free-range/caged ferrets, I do both.  Some of my ferrets are
trustworthy and they are allowed to roam free in the house at all times.  As
far an emergency is concerned, I know where these ferrets sleep in the
house.  It wouldn't take me long to get them out of the house, and like
Kelleen, I would die saving my ferrets.  The other ferrets that are caged
are let to roam with supervision, and put back in their cages before I leave
or at bedtime.

Thank you, Jennifer, for continuing the struggle for ferret quarantines!

BTW, if anyone is interested, we will have 7 ferrets available for adoption
in one-three weeks.  All the colors of the rainbow and ranging in age from
2 - 4 years.  Email me back for more info.  The two ferrets we are still
struggling with ECE have not had their second distemper shot, so we are
waiting until they are healthy to give that, and then will be available in
two weeks.

Lisa and the house of madness