From:
Amy Lotto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1993 06:01:42 -0400
Regarding the use of baby shampoo and ferrets:

We use j&j baby shampoo on Cleo, in moderation of course, and have never
had a problem with it.  We do not bathe her more than once a week and a
half or so.  Cleo goes crazy after every bath.  As sooon as she gets  out
of the towel she runs around the house kamikaze-like, rolling and
scooching around trying to get as dirty as possible as quickly as
possible.  She is certainly more 'hyper' than usual.  I would say that if
your ferret(s) are having any kind of skin irritation, if they seem to be
scratching or flaking, if they appear lethargic or sickly after the
bath... you will definately want to avoid using the shampoo and maybe talk
to your vet about a good, non-irritating shampoo.  Ferrets are kind of
like people in that the same things don't work for all of them.

If your ferret seems unhappy or angry at you after the bath it might be
because it doesn't like the water all that much.  Some of our animals love
getting baths(Cleo especially, loves to swim in the tub) and some would
rather be mangy and flea-bitten than get cleaned up :) .

On a different note, we recently got a kitten and are having some problems
getting Inky(the kitty) and Cleo adjusted to one another.  Cleo thinks
Inky is a giant, moving stuffed toy.  Inky thinks Cleo is a big rat.  The
other night we watched the two of them circle around a box for almost an
hour hunting one another.  It was funny to watch, neither was vicious in
their attack... but it makes me nervous to think of leaving them alone
together.  Anyone been through this?  Any hints?  :)

We are also planning on moving this week to a new, bigger apartment.  I am
concerned about having to retrain Cleo to use a litter box in the new
place... should I be?

Take care everyone and your ferrets,
Amy, Cleo, Inky, Bump and Harvey