From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 21:46:09 -0500
Here's the web site with the woodcuts from about 1600 A.D. of ferrets (there
are 3 in black and white so they don't look that fantastic but they are
cool).  It has a lot of history etc.  info as well.  Site is:

http://home.worldonline.nl/~wfu/ferret/html//it is difficult

I don't know what that it is difficult part is but that's what printed out
at the top of the page.  I think they may be from New Zealand?  I think I
found it with Lycos when looking for mustelidae.  One of the woodcuts
depicts hunting and says in the woodcut Queen Mary's Psalter, 1310-1335 A.D.

My ferret presentation went pretty well I think - at least I got "the word
out".  I was a little surprised, only 1 girl had a friend with ferrets and
really seemed to like them.  At the end I demonstrated clipping Boris'
nails, cleaned his ears and let a couple have cat lax licked off their
fingers.  Now that I'm home I have remembered two things so far I didn't hit
on - fleas and heartworms.  Hopefully the message on vaccinations and vet
checks got through and the vet would inform them.  I hit pretty hard on they
don't survive in the wild since my vet told me today that Kalamazoo Animal
rescue has had 4 ferrets come in from being dumped outside (well maybe just
got loose) and the ferrets wandered into peoples backyards etc.  I covered
Order, Genus, Species, i.e. DOMESTIC animal and where they fit in, History,
Pet care (ferret proofing, food etc.  etc.) and responsible ownership
(should you get a ferret), Medical Concerns and Problems and Fun things,
like shows, magazines (took in back issued of MF etc.  Also talked a little
about shelters and rescue.  Was there about an hour.  Showed them
Ferretcoat, ferretvite, cat lax, toys, took in a piece of dryer tube etc.  I
don't think I was real dynamic since they seemed sort of quiet - or is that
teenagers?  I left a FAQ with them.  Whew!  Oh %*(# - now I realized I
forgot to talk about litter and no aquariums or cedar chips.  Thats what I
get for not looking at my notes!!!!  It was sort of nerve racking - the
ferrets were bored since I didn't take them out till the end but they were
very well behaved.  It was pretty fun for me though:)

ALSO - called the Michigan Dept of Agriculture and got the numbers for
ferret rabies testing:  1994:  7 (not legal then)  1995:  91   1996:  114
No positives.  I see a very sad trend here.

My vet mentioned also that he was seeing more people come in who didn't seem
to know anything about ferrets (feeding dog food etc.).  Last year he said
the people were more informed.  Another unfortunate trend.  I guess impulse
buying is really starting to kick in.

Cheers
Mary, Boris and Giesela