Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 23:11:28 -0800
January 22nd, 1997

For Immediate Release
PAT WRIGHT CHARGED WITH FERRET POSSESSION

Is This The Test Case The Ferret Community Has Been Looking For?

Pat Wright, founder of the 3,500 member grass roots ferret organization,
Ferrets Anonymous has had the last minute charge
FG2118(B) IMPORT/POSSESS WILD ANIMAL
added to the four misdemeanors already filed.  The other charges filed are:

121705 CONCEAL ANIMAL SUBJECT TO RABIES

121710 VIOLATING QUARANTINE ORDER

CO62.617 ISOLATION OF BITING ANIMAL

273A(B) CHILD ABUSE OR ENDANGERMENT

All these cases are a result of a ferret bite that measured 1/4", did not
break the skin, and Ferrets Anonymous would not assist San Diego Animal
Control in locating the ferret, unless we were assured in writing that the
ferret would not be destroyed.  The ferret was turned in for quarantine
within the deadline and then shipped to Arizona.

The previous four charges are groundless, and Wright expects to beat them.
But Wright is one of at least 100,000 ferret owners in California, housing
about 500,000 of the illegal animals.

However, the domestic ferret, "mustela putorious furo", is a completely
domestic animal.  We have been working on trying to legalize them for three
years.  They are legal in all other states except Hawaii.  We were told by
the legislature that the decision is up to the California Fish and Game
Commission.  The Commission issued a legal opinion recently that they are
not authorized to remove the domestic ferret from the prohibited species
list.  It has been an example of government inefficiency and indifference to
it's citizens

Considering that the San Diego City Attorney's office waited to less than 24
hours before the trial began, Wright can only conclude that the City
Attorney's office is not after justice - they want to punish a critic.

The trial is set to start at 8:15 a.m.  at the San Diego county courthouse,
220 W Broadway in San Diego.

For more information, please call Ferrets Anonymous at (619) 584-8427.