From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:14:19 -0600
I just found out from Dr. Williams today that the follow-up pathology
report he did on Lucky Charm's necropsied tissues showed that when she
died last October, she was suffering from an insulinoma that had spread.
It took a long time transferring material to D.C.  from the pathologist
in Albuquerque because of the mail slowdowns to Washington, D.C. after
9/11/01.  I sent an e-mail to Dr. Williams this past weekend inquiring if
he had learned anything more about her condition, and he responded:

"Yes, this was the first metastatic insulinoma that I have been able to
document.  The tumor stained very nicely with the insulin stain.  There
was evidence of cardiomyopathy, and to date, we know of no other diseases
that cause CMP.  While hyperthyroidism can result in CMP in cats, and
lack of taurine in dogs, this has yet to be discovered in ferrets."

So it turns out we have a good ferret pathologist in Albuquerque, Dr.
LaRock, who provided an accurate report and also did a good job of
preserving the necessary tissues for further use.  He was also very nice
about sending everything to Dr. Williams.

It brings tears to my eyes to know that even in her final days, Lucky
Charm was able to make her own contribution to medical science.  She would
have liked that, I think, because she was such a caring and smart little
ferret.  She had been through two adrenalectomies, three partial
pancreatectomies, and an exploratory surgery.  She died peacefully and in
no pain -- I will always remember her trusting eyes looking up at me as
she went to sleep for the last time.  Someday I hope to have another
little girl just like her.  In fact, I kind of hope she comes back to me
in another life.

Linda, Chocolate Moose, & Zipper