From:
Mattias Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:01:43 +0200
Sigh.  I tried to stay out of this, but I have to (enhance my ego :)) and
let others know what I think and belive.

I really don't understand why we humans have to force our conception of
beauty on other animals and species.  We would never do this on our own
species (although there has been some nasty attempts in the history of the
human society).

By some odd reason we humans think that what in nature is seen as a "flaw",
is beautiful and is what should be the standard or that species, no matter
what the consequences are.  Some examples:
- Snakes: Albinos is almost every time more "valuable" than a "regular"
- Geckos: The most popular specimens are those that has been breed to a
  specific color, like "fire yellow" or so.
- Ferrets: Colorings that are popular would have little to non chance of
  surviving in nature.

My point is that we humans prefers the "freaks" and/or "oddities" that
never would survive in nature.  There has been many attempts by evolution
to alter the animals to perfection during the history of time, and now the
homo sapiens is trying to alter that camouflage that previously have been
the formula for getting food and shelter.

Ever thought about why (for example) albinos are so rare in nature?
That is because they do not survive.  An albino predator living in a
non-snow/ice environment will have little chance of catching prey, and
hence the bloodline of that albino will end when he/she can not produce off
spring.  A blind animal can not see their prey and other predators posing a
threat, a deaf animal can not smell their prey and other predators posing a
threat  Those animals would soon become some other animals meal, or die of
starvation.

I think it is unethical to alter another species, just so that we humans
can satisfy our "need" of a special look or a special attribute on that
species.

For me, the most beautiful animal is the one that actually looks natural.
Or if you want to put it in other words, the animal that looks the way it
is supposed to look.

/Mattias