From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:08:13 +0800
Yes, I'm still confused about using the term "crepuscular" when
describing polecats and, therefore, ferrets.

Bob, from your post, should I better understand that "crepuscular"
means "able to be active any time during a 24 hour period as the
opportunities for survival present themselves?" This would make more
sense of what I have read so far. The dictionary definition leads one
to understand that crepuscular animals are either mainly or exclusively
active during dawn and dusk. I think from you and Sukie, this is not
accurate.

Please let me be right this once.

I have often wondered if, therefore, many of us have similarly
misunderstood the term and this has led to thinking that ferrets only
need (for instance) to be let out of a cage once or twice per day (dawn
and dusk). I know from my own experience, and I bet others do too, that
ferrets need to be much more active than this!

I have further concerns that a current trend to provide absolute
darkness for a period of time per 24 hours to prevent adrenal disease
has been seen by some as a need to occlude light for as long as
possible. I think this could be very dangerous.

Bob, do you have any thoughts on these ponderings?

 :-)

Shirley