From:
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 12:41:07 -0700
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Herbal remedies

Ela is right that some number of FML subscribers use herbal remedies and
also colloidal silver (which is not a natural remedy) but there are also a
goodly number that will not put colloidal silver into their ferrets as it
is not a tested and safe medicine.  There are people who do not choose to
use herbal remedies as they too are not tested and safe replacements for
medicines.  Although some (such as us) will use herbal products on
ourselves - we won't on ferrets as ferrets are not people.

>From:    Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: zen on ferret popularity - its a GOOD thing...

Sorry for some misunderstandings here.  I took what you said and followed
it logically.  I didn't mean anything as an attack of you adn really think
it wasn't an attack.

>I'm really curious where you got the idea that I thought ferrets were bad
>pets.  There isn't ANY mention of such a thing in my post.

You said...

>>How much truth do you tell the public while you're educating,
>>without making ferrets sound like bad pets.

I said

>>Tell the whole truth.

If you think telling too much truth makes ferrets sound like bad pets that
sounds you think ferrets are bad pets.  While I think that the more truth
you tell about ferrets, the more theysound like great pets.  If you
genuinely think ferrets are great pets why would you be afraid to tell
everything?

>I don't understand what little quips like this one have to do with making
>your point.  You weren't there to witness the situation, to the best of my
>knowledge, or when our club attorney had to deal with the matter.

I offered no opinion on what that situation was.  But if you tell the
truth and can prove that it is the truth then you have no worries about a
lawsuit.  Heck you actually can lie and still have little to worry about
but I do not ever advocate lying.  (no need for hypothetical situations
to try to get me to back down on that - too much wiggle room on any
hypothetical And that getting away with lying is another story.)

But telling the truth is cold statistics and facts without colorful
adjectives.  If you state for example that some un-named "breeder or
shelter had 4 cages with 6 inches of feces piled in the corner" that is a
fact (though a photo or the like would be a good idea).  If you embellished
that with "that evil breeder or in-humane shelter has disgustingly vile
cages with incredible mounds of feces all over the place" you are
expounding and open yourself up to interpretation of terms.  Your club
chooses to follow the advice of the attorney (and from what I have read
from him, he is good so I'm not saying don't listen to him) which is fine.
There are other ways to combat the problem.  But that is a long
conversation of its own.

-bill
--
bill and diane killian