From:
Rebecca McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 10:58:12 -0500
Dooks and greetings to all.  My sincere condolences to all whose beloved
fur kids have gone to the Bridge.  I've been sick with bronchitis and
haven't had time to write to all individually.

First, I'm doing another post I never thought I'd be doing.  I have to ask
you great FML folks to please send good thoughts to my Bailey (the Bop).
If you remember, I rescued Bailey & Alix last year and I'm their 4th home.
When Bailey came to me she had hair loss that I wrote to the FML about, and
Sukie (bless you) sent me a description of hair loss patterns.  Well, the
Bop has never gotten the hair all back, and we've been treating her- the
vet and I-for possible allergies.  But lately her vulva has started to
swell.  Dr. Kubisz has never been able to feel her spay job and is thinking
there might be a piece of ovary in there that finally started growing
and is causing problems.  So, next Thursday, May 11, Bailey goes in for
exploratory.  Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.  I contacted
Marshall Farms this morning and spoke directly with a lady there.  I asked
that if this turns out to be an incorrect spay could they help defray the
costs.  She asked if I had her MF papers, etc.  I explained no, she wanted
to know how I knew she was MF.  I said by the tattoos and she then told me
there was a copy cat out there doing this.  Then I explained to her that
I had 11 other ferrets, one of which wasn't MF, and the MF's are very
distinctive from the unknown one (Alix).  That got her!  So she asked that
after Bailey's surgery would I fax her the information and she'd see if she
could help me.  They only guarantee their babies for one year, but she said
she would see what she could do.  I told her I'd let her know the outcome
of the Bop's surgery whatever it was.

Now, I feel compelled to ask you all for help for an FML member.  Erin
Larson has several babies, and two of her's, Houdini and Teddy Bear, are
showing signs of adrenal.  Houdini right now is hair loss, but Teddy Bear
sounds like the classic adrenal symptoms.  Erin has run into an extreme
amount of bad luck at this time, and her funds are really short.  She wrote
to me last night in tears and told me that these two go in Saturday to the
vet, but if it's adrenal, because of the lack of funds at the moment, she
will have to have them put to sleep.  I have to appeal to anyone who can
find it in their heart to help her with the bill should it be adrenal,
could you please do so?  She has to get all her other babies inoculated,
is working on getting a job, has car trouble, her mom isn't able to help
out at this moment either.  Erin gave me permission to give out her e-mail
and her mother, whom she'll inform that she may be getting mail about the
babies.  This is a legitimate plea for help for someone who loves her
fuzzies and is just having a really bad run of luck.  Please, if any can
help her do so.  Erin's e-mail address is: [log in to unmask] and her
mother's is [log in to unmask]   If you'd like to contact me,
please feel free to do so also.  Most of you know my home e-mail, but if
you've forgotten it's [log in to unmask] She will know the total of the
bill, should it come down to surgery, if anyone would like to write to her.
She'll also let me know so I can pass that along.

Rebecca McFarlane
Secretary
Basic Medical Sciences
School Veterinary Medicine
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN  47907-1246
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
 good with ketchup"