From:
KIMBERLY RICHARDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 12:33:14 PDT
Hi everyone,
It's been a long time since I've read my FML.  I hope everyone and their
fuzzies are doing great!  I have a dilemma about ferret litter.  If this
has been discussed recently, I apologize for being behind.  I found a
wonderful paper clumping litter by Cat's Pride about a year ago that
another ferret owner told me she used.  I love this stuff.  I have asked
a veterinarian if it is safe and she said since it is paper and does not
expand when wet then it shouldn't cause intestinal obstruction in my
fuzzies.  This litter is great and the smell in our ferret room is not
stinky like when we used regular non-clumping clay litter.

Well, it's getting harder to find this litter in my area so I called the
company Oil Dri Co.  which produces the Cat's Pride and they told me of
some other stores where I could find the litter.  I was thinking that I
probably should have a back-up clumping litter in case I can't get this
litter anymore.  I saw other Cat's Pride clumping litters (not paper)and
noticed a few of them are flushable as is the paper litter.  The key thing
I noticed about their flushable litters is that they state that these
litters do not contain sodium benzoate(sp?) which expands and clumps.
So I called the company again to see if they know if this is safe for
consumption and if it could cause blockages.  The lady told me that it is
safe for a child to eat (non-toxic) and does not expand or clump as hard as
other clay clumping litters, which has actually been a popular complaint
with their products.  What I am wondering is: does anyone know if these
litters are safe?  I don't know if it's the sodium benzoate or the clay
that has caused problems with ferrets and clumping litters.  Please let
me know what you all think.  Thanks!!  God Bless you and your babies!!

Kimberly