From:
Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 18:45:09 -0800
I've tried several times to post this on the new Washington State Ferret
Association list but they are apparently fearful of "libel", so I'm hoping
instead that we can get help from across the U.S. (By the way, doesn't
"libel" only apply if it's not true?)
[Moderator's note: Yes, but *proving* whether or not it's true can get
expensive and time-consuming.  BIG]

One of our customers brought in a baby ferret about two weeks ago, that
they'd just purchased from Petco in Everett, WA.  They'd had her overnight
and were wondering why she wouldn't stop crying/wimpering.  Her teeth had
just started to come in, she'd already been spayed and descented.  She was
constantly trying to nurse on fingers and clothes, but wasn't eating any
of the food that Petco had sold them.  After discussions with a vet the
new owners did the best they could, but she died a couple of days ago.

Today (Saturday) we've had 5 people come in to tell us about the horribly
small, immature ferrets that Petco continues to sell and one person brought
in an "8 week old" ferret that they've had for 4 weeks now.  The poor
little thing is thin and weak and still fits into only one hand.  His
growth has been stunted and it's likely a case of "failure to thrive" due
to the young age he was when taken from his mom.

Local Petco managers and district managers keep their jobs only if they
maintain or increase their bottom line, as directed by corporate.  I've
found it does no good to speak with them.  The corporate headquarters needs
to be told there's a problem when they sell ferrets so young.  Please take
a minute to write to let them know:

(1) it's affecting their "image" as a corporation when they sell animals
    so young.

(2) the ferrets should not be accepted from their vendor until they are
    (at least) 6 weeks old (my letter states 8 weeks).

(3) if they are accidentally accepted and the breeder is not available to
    take them back for a few weeks that they should call a local ferret
    shelter for assistance in caring for these babies

(4) ferrets so young will have a high death rate when sold to people as
    their first ferret.

Stick to facts or to your opinion, no need to write nasty letters.  But
please write, for the sake of these and future, baby ferrets.

Petco
9125 Rehco Rd
San Diego CA 92121

Sandi Ackerman

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House a non-profit corporation
Seattle, WA

HouseBun Archives

   http://users.loa.com/~phause/HouseBun/