Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 05:47:16 -0800
This is the part of trip planning that makes my head ache. It is the
point where I start obsessing about if I should take 6 or 8 travel
rolls of toilet paper, or if I should take the 20mm, or make due with
the 24mm lens. And just where in New Zealand can I find paprika potato
chips? Arrggghhh!

I haven't starting to answer the grab bag of invitations to visit
because I had last minute changes in the plan (changed the travel
structure of the project) and had to rework the schedule to meet the
needs of a world famous biologist (I'll drop the name later after I get
permission). I worked things out -- after calling a dozen other people
to ask if I could see them at a different time -- but it wasn't fun.

Because of the scheduling snafu, I was forced to hold off contacting
friends because I didn't want to take the chance of disappointing
anyone by changing details or not being able to go. Now, I can say
for sure where I will be and almost the times I will be there.

So, here is the tentative schedule (keeping in mind changes are still
possible):

March 14-May 2: New Zealand (1st three weeks North Island, 2nd three
weeks South Island). Any and all New Zealanders are strongly encourage
to contact me. (See why, below).

May 2: to May 18: Australia. I'll be in Melbourne for the ferret
symposium. Afterwards, I will be visiting ferret people in various
locations, including the Melbourne area, Tazmania, Sydney, and
Brisbane. I may extend the trip a few days to visit Perth. After
Australia, arrival and departure dates become more and more tenuous,
however the sequence of travel is pretty much set.

May 18ish to May 30ish: Scotland followed by England. The time I have
for Scotland is related to the time it takes to study an important
collection there. I have a great need to visit as many Scots and
British ferret owners as possible. (See below)

May 30ish to July 12ish: Continental Europe, including France, Spain,
Portugal, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Poland, Denmark, Sweden,
Hungary, and Italy. I have a lot of contacts already, but I need more.
Come on, ferret clubs! Lend me a hand! (See Below)

July 12ish: Home

July 27-30: TLE's home for a bit of fixin' up. Please bring your
ferrets! (See Below)

Here is the "see below part!"

I have permission to spill the beans about one important part of the
research I will be doing on ferrets. I ask that you respect the person
and not slam their email box (if I find out people have, I will not
tell about other people until after the fact. I promise to keep all
informed). There is a lot of debate about environment, epigenetics,
genetics, and other aspects of ferret health. The problem is that no
one has the time, money, or desire to work on the problem. Not so
anymore! I will be working very closely with Dr. Michelle Hawkins (UC
Davis) to collect DNA from 1000+ ferrets from all over the world. She
will use the DNA to look for disease markers in ferrets, among other
things.

This is perhaps one of the most important ferret-related scientific
studies that has ever been done, and perhaps will ever be done. It
will be the largest DNA study of polecats and ferrets that has EVER
been done; none are even close in sampling. The data potential for
this study will be absolutely fantastic! We have the potential for
identifying genes responsible for some ferret diseases. We might be
able to exclude genetics, perhaps even epigenetics, from consideration
for some diseases. We might be able to identify the progenitor of
the domestic ferret. We will have a much better understanding of the
genetic diversity within our domesticated ferrets. There is so much
more than what I've mentioned that we might be able to learn from this
SMALL part of my Ferret Project research! Dr. Hawkins is VERY excited
about this research, and I have felt like a ferret on a hot griddle
because I wasn't able to divulge the particulars until now. Now if I
could just talk about a dozen other people!!

The reason for the large samples is the exact same reason I have been
collecting such a large sample of ferret skeletons: the desire to
sample to redundancy. Once you have sampled to redundancy, you have
empirical proof your sample matches the sampled population. That is
extremely significant! For example, in my dental study, I have sampled
to redundancy and have calculated percentages of ferrets that have
specific dental diseases. If a vet says they don't see the problem in
their practice, the observation does not negate the observations from
a redundant sample any more than a BB can stop a tank. Sampling to
redundancy is a very powerful tool in explaining observed phenomena.
For instance, because I have sampled to redundancy, there is little
doubt that kibble is responsible for wearing down ferret teeth. Not
genetics, not caging, not the phase of the moon: just kibble. True,
each factor could play a part, but kibble drives the problem. I
could do a study to confirm those observations and analyses, but
the probability that my conclusion is wrong is less than a single
percentile. In Las Vegas terms, it is a sure bet. THAT is the power
of sampling to redundancy, and WHY I need the help of so many people
on this trip.

I need as many ferret people in the countries I have listed to contact
me. If I can get enough DNA to reach redundancy, if Dr. Hawkins can
find disease markers, if we can show some diseases are genetic, some
are environmental, and some are both, can you imagine the potential
for helping ferrets? The potential advantages of this research leaves
me in awe!

I need your help. Dr. Hawkins needs your help. Our ferrets need your
help. My goal is to collect a minimum of 1000 DNA samples during
this trip. That means I have to see 1000+ different ferrets. The DNA
technique will not hurt your ferret and does not require blood; it is
just plucking a few hairs and scraping their cheeks with a tiny brush.
No pain, no harm, just an unbelievable tool for all of us.

Please help! I can go anywhere in Europe that has a Eurail connection
or a bus line. I have conserved a few precious connections for air
flights if they are needed. I will stay in Europe as long as possible
to get the work done. I will go anywhere, see anyone, and sing and
dance if I have to do so in order to do this research right. I feel
like Cal Worthington; I'll stand on my head to sample your ferret's
DNA.

I leave in less than 2 weeks. Please contact me now, or even after I
leave. Except for the New Zealand part, there is time to work out any
details if it takes longer than 2 weeks to contact me.

Bob C [log in to unmask]