From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2013 21:58:48 +0300
I just got home and read the latest FMLs. It's true -- I am isolated,
and I do rely on the FML to feel connected. I do get interested and
interesting responses from people, and I've made some good friends
in the process over the last few years. So, since more people seem
interested than offended, I'll keep posting about how I'm doing in
my project to get home with my animals.

It's also true that the bureaucracy here is pretty freaky, bordering on
surrealistic. With the right perspective, it is also very funny. With
so much at stake, my perspective wavers a lot, but I'm working on it.

Today I went to Document Authorization and Registration with the first
corporate minutes. The reviewer guy was moderately abusive for quite
some time, and it was getting old. At one point he was looking at the
clearance from Ministry of Revenues and Customs, which was written in
Amharic. He asked me if I could read Amharic. I calmly said "No." Then
I said, being even more low-key, "Can you?"

There's always an audience in these situations, but I was so intent on
the guy I hadn't noticed all the people standing around till, after a
split second, they cracked up. Even he got a small smile. It went more
smoothly after that. He told me what I needed to change and I'll do it
this weekend and go back on Mon or Tue.

I am hoping that he doesn't "discover" something more flaws when he
gets the thing back. I know the guy -- he's reviewed things of mine
before. You can never know what mood he will be in -- he can be
delightful and friendly or the very devil. I insisted he read it
all -- he'd been about to just put it down after pointing out the first
flaw. I'm also hoping he keeps his sense of humor and doesn't feel he
was made a fool of..... but I'm guessing that he's been there so many
years he's seen it all. I'm going to ask Bill, who is good at dealing
with these people, to come with me next time.

Also about the reviewer -- HE was the one who, on another issue, sent
me to the Investment Agency, who sent me to the Min of Trade, who sent
me back to the Investmt Agncy, who sent me back to Doc Auth+Reg with
a copy of the national Proclamation stating that Doc Auth+Reg, not
Invesmt Agncy, was the responsible agency. Since no one likes to be
proven wrong, I worried he'd take it out on me, but he was out that
day, and someone else took over. They too were resistant, confused
and etc, but did accept the situation in the end.

I'm feeling optimistic. If I just keep at this, it will work out.
"Perseverence furthers," right? Thursday, on the other hand, I was
so upset I was considering abandoning the car and the resources it
represents. But I got over it.