From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 07:51:26 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Pam Franklin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need urgent help!
>I have a sick ferret who needs some help.  He is currently staying at the
>animal hospital but my vets aren't sure yet what's wrong.  Chubba Wubba is a
>5 year old (MF) male with an enlarged spleen (been that way for at least two
>years with no noticable health problems).

First, it could be the spleen.  Although it is probably just benign changes
in the spleen, very enlarged spleens can cause a variety of weird blood
values and cause profound lethargy.  I have had few spiking fevers also.
Treatment is to remove the spleen.  I have done this in 1-2 cases where the
ferrets were feverish with no complications.  Other than that, the goal is
supportive in nature and try to reduce the fever (either by tepid water
baths or medications).

>From:    "Peggy M. Kesner" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets' Health -- PLEASE HELP

Both of these ferrets could have adrenal disease.  The non-healing skin sore
and hair loss for the male can both be caused by adrenal disease.  In the
female, the thinning hair, swollen vulva and vulva discharge is highly
suggestive of adrenal disease.  Check out the FAQ on adrenal disease for
more details.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA