From:
Roberta Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 10:02:17 -0400
I had been wondering if the domestication of ferrets by Egyptians was urban
myth, or apocryphal in some way.  It seems to me that ferrets would have a
rough time in the Egyptian climate.  Nevetheless, my girls have their
Egyptian names, and that recognizes the fact that ferrets have been
domesticated for a long time.  (and Egyptian names are cool) If the Greeks
were the first to domesticate ferrets, maybe it would be fun to give them
Greek names.  I wonder if ferret math is Euclidean or non-Euclidean.

Meanwhile, Isis and Shu are training their human well.  They have set up FLO
headquarters under my bed and begun training exercises.  Shu became adept at
climbing to the top of her cage.  She couldn't get down though, and I found
her looking forlorn one day up there amid some puddles.  I thought she would
learn from the experience, but I found her there the next day as well.  She
was looking over the side at Isis.

Isis found that climbing the cage was a way to get to the large plant that I
have next to the cage.  I had it protected by wrapping the pot with heavy
clear plastic that formed a large cylinder around it.  Isis had climbed the
cage, jumped into the cylinder, and got to happily dig away juntil I found
her grinning, with a pile of dirt on top of her nose.

Since then, I put some cardboard panels on the top ot the cage, to prevent
further FLO paratrooper exercises, and thoroughly ferretproffed the plant
with heavier materials.

Roberta Morgan