From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 12:37:57 -0700
>From:    Paul Ogles <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: American Ferret Congress
>1.  Bill Killian- If AFA is all you suggest, we should back it rather than
>replace it, but... Why do I hear so little about it?  How is it organized?
>What is it's focus?  How is it funded?  How does it spend those funds?  I
>think most people here would rather join a group doing what they want than
>try to create one.

I am VERY glad you asked!  My response is not official from the AFA.  But I
believe something from them is forthcoming.  Being larger and busier they
end up slower on "official" things like this that have to be precise and
carefully worded.

You don't hear much about the AFA because they are busy doing things.  Those
doing the work are too busy doing the work to have time to brag on
themselves.  They are so much larger than the other "national groups" that
they've been buried in administrivia.  The AFA is orders of magnitude larger
than any other national group at this point.  For that reason they've hired
a company to do the paperwork aspects and free up the volunteers for what
they volunteered.

They are changing organization along with this new adminstration contract.
The group that took the contract is finding out that perhaps its a lot more
work than they thought.  Us ferret folk are that busy...

They do not have one single focus.  But neither does the AKC for dogs.  The
AFA tries to work everything thata national group should.  They do not delve
deeply into truly local matters but support local groups that are doing so.

The AFA is doing this legal/legislative thing all across the country right
now.  Some folks have a tendancy to derail efforts that they can't claim
credit for so the AFA doesn't go public with everything in these preliminary
stages.

Funding is the same as most 50C3 groups.  Donations etc.  This is actually
very significant.  Along with the existing administration infrastructure
this represents many years of hard work to build up the financial and
administrative structures.  A new group would have to fight the same long
battles to to build up this level of infrastructure.

Spending the funds is well where it needs to go by the recommendations of
the AFA board.  Its by vote on the board - the group is far too large to
poll every member for every issue.  But the board can be influenced, all you
have to do is write and ask or comment.  I do it all the time.

Here's a big idea.  Volunteer.  The AFA needs more people that want to do
something.  Join and help.  There are a lot of open jobs.  All the way to
the top.

An odd artifact of the internet in our times is that miniscule "groups" that
are often no more than one person typing in on AOL can pretend to be a large
group and claim a lot of support.  This is the case in the ferret community
at this time.  One could build a reputation by merely saying they are doing
things and if no one points out that the emperor has no clothes they just go
merrily on their way.

>2.  The advantages of Chaos- it is easier to get people to work for a local
>than for a national group- they can be 'big frogs', and be in direct contact
>w/ associates.

This is sort of how it worked in the Kodo issue.  The local group - the GLFA-
did much of the work but used the resources of the larger national group for
more specialized needs.  The GLFA didn't have a Nationally recognized health
and rabies expert so in came Dr. Freddie Hoffman.  Note that the people that
were at the site in Michighan talk about the GLFA and the AFA as being there.

>For instance, some sort of independent boards for legal actions, shows and
>standards, shelter support, etc., could each have a representative on the
>Executive Board.

You describe the AFA in a way.

>From:  "Margies ferts & her (Kodo's Spirit lives)" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: National Organization --- yet another?

We seem in complete agreement.

>From:    Chris and Tara Palaski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: National Ferret Organization.
>BUT they are ALREADY involved in TOO MANY OTHER THINGS, to tackle legal
>issues on top of everything else they do!

Really?  I disagree.  Its one of the things they do that they consider most
important.  Its the gadflies around here that prevent them from telling
everybody what they are already doing in this area.  I get back to the
infrastructure thing.  If there are MORE groups than you need MORE of the
tax and adminstrative work.  Which means more people doing work not directly
related to the tasks at hand but in the drudgery of support roles.

>Who knows, maybe some day people will know OUR names like the other giants
>of the ferret world!

Okay, what do you want to do?  Are you willing to volunteer and help?  Cool!

>From:    "David J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: National Ferret Organization - Margaret Merchant
>Initially stay focussed on the areas that are _NOT_ being addressed
>nationally by other groups.

Again, I do not mean to be argumentative.  But what area is not being
addressed?  You made some good comments about finding the leaderhip and
staff.  Why not use what already exists.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]