From:
Northern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 06:45:29 -0700
I have read about many times and I hoped never to experience it but
Spunky is in a major depression.

I brought Bruno's body home from the vet.  He was placed in a cardboard
box wrapped in a plastic bag.  I unwrapped him from the bag and placed
the box on the living floor and got Spunky out of her cage.  I placed
her in the box with Bruno.  She sniffed Bruno from nose to tail.  Then
she then licked him a couple of times on his ears.

She then jumped out of the box and started war dancing all over the
place.  Chittering and dooking, grappling me by my leg.  She was the
happiest thing I seen.  I grabbed her and put her in the box again but
she just bounced out.  I knew I had a problem.  She could not face the
fact that her life long mate had crossed the bridge.

After a while I took Bruno and buried him deep between the rose bushes
with his raisins and pineapple pieces.  I said my final good-byes.

Last week I noticed her looking for him.  Bruno had his favorite hiding
places where he would curl up and sleep alone.  I started finding her in
those spots.  She never did this before.  I even found her one day curled
up in his carry case and velvet rags that I used for him.  I washed
everything and threw things out that his scent but there is still a few
things around that still has his mark.  I find her there now.

Over the weekend I purchased another ferret, a feisty little girl that
we named Toostie.  I was not planning on owning any more ferrets but I
want Spunky to have a friend.  At first it seemed to help.  They played
together, not much but at least some.  The other day I even saw Spunky
grooming Toostie.  But I have noticed that Spunky is losing weight.  She
is not eating.  Where she could not enough Cheerios now she will maybe
eat one then go right back to bed, in one of Bruno s hiding spots.  I
tried giving her Ferrvite and oil.  She used to love that stuff but now
will only snort at it and fights to get away.  She is drinking water at
least.  Spunky is sleeping a lot.  Her normal play times are now being
taken up by her sleeping.  I have tried playing with but she won t
respond.  She was a hellcat but now is very lethargic.

Is there Prozac for ferrets?  Should I wipe all scents of Bruno in the
house, is that fair to her?  Will the scents prolong her grief?  Is time
the only thing that will help her?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share what is happening to me and
Spunks.  This forum has helped me in the past and I have enjoyed reading
it every morn.  I also want to thank everyone for the emails and cards
they sent to me.  They really touched my heart.  Now I m waiting on
Sandee s post about greeting Bruno at the Bridge.

Thanks listening.
M.Northern