From:
Sevald Cirkov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 21:14:06 +0200
Hello members of FML.

My ferret gave birth to 8 ferretkits 4 weeks ago.  Suddenly three days ago
in the evening I noticed that she looked very tired and had left her
ferretkits alone.  I picked her up and examined her; one of her nipples was
black and the area around was really hard and swollen.  I took her to a
veterinary the following day.  She examined her (briefly) and diagnosed it
as MASTITIS.  She gave me a prescription of antibiotic, called :
Enrofloxacin (Bayer, Baytril vet. 15 mg)  Dosage 1/3 tablet each day for ten
days.

I asked her about the black nipple but she couldn't give any explanation.  I
asked if it could be due to the kits sharp teeth and she said "probably so".
There are eight kits but my ferret only have 6 "active" nipples (breasts?).
Two of them never started producing any milk.

Today her breasts have become even worse;
there are black spots spreading across her breasts and a faintly rutten
smell coming from her breasts.  I checked just now and there's a reddish
spot appearing on her breast, it is dark red and look like blood.  She is
also very warm, probably fever.  Now this may sound as if she's dying but
she is able to walk and she has even been eating .

Is there anyone of you who have experienced something similar?  What did you
do?  Any ideas on why her nipple is black?  All advice appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Sevald Cirkov, who is very worried right now:-(

PS.  I've started giving the kits a milk replacer for kittens.  KMR from
PetAg.  I have also started giving them IAMS mixed with water, chicken stock
(made by myself) and oil.

"N=E4r man springer med sanningens fackla genom en folkm=E4ngd
=E4r det alltid n=E5gon som f=E5r skegget svett."
-Lichtenberg.

Fast denna =E4r ocks=E5 bra:
"Always behave like a duck, remain calm and unruffled
 on the surface, but paddle like heck underneath" -unknown