From:
Ron Ackermann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1993 11:01:15 -0500
Several people have had a problem getting their ferrets to eat "good"
cat/kitten food so I thought I would pass along something that seems
to help (with our two anyway).  We have put a squirt (or two) of ferritone
on the food they don't want to eat.  Ours would eat rocks if it has ferritone
on it.  The local ferret rescue (Ferrets Northwest) also suggested food-
grade mineral oil, which appears to be the "carrier" for ferretone.  Both
of our go nuts for any kind of oil, even hand lotion (no we don't feed
that to them, but they have helped themselves to it before).

Once the ferrets start eating the new food with the ferretone on it, you can
start cutting back on the amount you apply, eventually they will hopefully
eat the new food un-doctored.

Regarding a great ferret-toy.  A springy stick about three feet long (a piece
of fishing pole works well, or the stuff music conductor's batons are made of),
with a three to four foot length of string on the end.  To the end of the
string tie a piece of cloth or a feather (you can buy these pre-assembled
at cat shows, and some pet stores).  Holding the stick in your hand, drag
the cloth/feather in front of your ferret across the floor.  Unless he/she
is asleep or blind, (s)he will start following it, move faster, (s)he will
start running.  Usually you tire out before (s)he will.  For an entertaining
variation, move everyone to a non-carpeted area of the house.  Have fun.