From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 10:32:41 -0400
We had our first instance last week of a ferret with an adrenal tumor and no
signs of hairloss.  Massy was sent to us by the MSPCA after she was turned
into their shelter.  She is approximately three years old, black sable, MF
(according to the ear tattoos.) She had a large swollen vulva, but no other
symptoms of an adrenal tumor.  Hair over all of her body, including tops of
feet and tail, was thick and healthy looking.  Activity level was normal;
appetite was good.

Dr. Dutton operated mid-week and reported one of the largest adrenal tumors
that he's seen in a ferret.  Massy is now recuperating at our home, and
doing quite well.

At the same time we also had Garfunkle operated on for an Adrenal tumor.  He
showed the classic symptoms: aggressiveness; hair loss at the base of his
tail with thinning going up the flanks and tops of his feet; weight loss;
lethargy.  Garf is the "spokesferret" for our crew, and has undertaken the
responsibility of making sure food and water bowls are adequately filled and
fresh.  If not, he usually lets me know by biting me on the top of my feet
until he gets my undivided attention, then leads me out to the offending
bowl.  Bud, our Alpha male, was very despondent while Garf was at the
hospital.  He was more of a constant speed bump than his normal, active
self.  He was always asking to be picked up and cuddled.  When we brought
Garf back, we put him in a recovery cage with Bud, who very carefully
checked Garf out, then proceeded to curl up around and over Garf and the
incision, apparently to keep him warm.  The next morning, both were out and
playing almost normally (at least Bud quit being a speed bump.)

          Dick B.