From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 07:44:58 -0500
Yes, well, it's me again.......about my casual attitude towards enlarged
spleens.  I've been communicating privately with Jeanne Stadtmiller, and
after careful consideration of her comments, I have come to agree with
her - although I did not intend to, I did sound too casual about my own
personal experience with an enlarged spleen.

While Elliott fortunately did not require surgery, there was alot I could
have said that I didn't, consequently giving the impression that these
spleens don't need to be followed closely.

Elliott, who had just turned 3 at the time, was looking "puffy" to me, and
I took him in for a check up.  His spleen was enlarged by exam, so my vet
decided to do a blood panel and CBC.  Based on those blood results, he
decided to wait since Elliott was acting, eating, drinking, ok, and because
the spleen was not dangerously enlarged.  I took Elliott back in 4 weeks
for a recheck and his spleen was normal size.  In SIX MONTHS, I took him
back again for another exam and repeat blood work - all of which was normal.

Elliott goes in for spleen check every 6 months.  So far, it hasn't
enlarged again - and the reason I know this is because I DO take him every
6 months for checkups.  I don't want to leave anyone with the impression
that just because the spleen goes back down again, it shouldn't be followed
closely.  Sometimes it can be just a cold - and other times it can be more
serious - good medical supervision is required to make that determination.

Thanks Jeanne :)

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA