From:
Kim Latas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 07:57:40 -0600
Hi gang!

First, thanks to each of you who wrote me PERSONALLY to talk Ferrets after
my first posting here.  It is greatly appreciated!

Second, I'm confused about feeding.... Many of you mention Iams or Science
Diet CAT food as a foodsource.  From what little I've read it would seem
that cat food isn't high enuff in protein and fat for a Ferret.  Why aren't
you feeding specially formulated Ferret Chow??  What I mean is: Is there a
justification for this?

I also own dogs and feed them correct amts of puppy/hi-pro/or senior style
DOG CHOW; I own a parrot and feed him (CONTINUOUSLY it seems) proper AVIAN
CHOW and fresh fruits/veggies/pastas.  My newts & fish get their rations of
live food and plants and the 'bits' that are made specifically for them as
well...and so on.

These Ferret critters seem to have such an "intense" metabolism that I can't
see how they could remain healthy without a proper food designed just for
them!  Am I missing something here?

As an update: Our little rescued ferret went to the Vet Saturday: SHE has
turned out to be a HE and has no visible medical problems.  Doc says its a
miracle he isn't a biter, and he got a distemper shot but NO RABIES vaccine
(Doc said something abt it being a 'live' virus vaccine which is a no-no).
We still don't know how old the little guy is but he weighs 2.5 pounds.  My
husband has named him "Weasel" which is (IMHO) a dumb name, but *sigh* can't
help it now!!  Weasel is eating and playing well~gaining weight~and has
already figured out the joys of couch stuffing removal and climbing the pet
gates on our doorways!  (Smart, aren't they?!?)

Our little guy has one strangely unique quality about him: In the week or so
that he's been here he has NOT UTTERED A SOUND!  Not a single chirp... I'm
guessing since he was stashed in such a barren environment for so long he
simply 'gave up' on vocalizing because nobody ever answered his cries for
help.  He's real sweet about licking our wrists and enjoys a good scratching
though, so I'm hoping he'll "dook" for me one of these days!!

Thanks for all info and advice!
Kim Latas
Spirit Lake, IA