From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:12:09 -0400
Ferretone: sounds like you could have a bottle of advanced age, or one
which perhaps got exposed to too much light or heat, or both and spoiled.

Opps, meant to write that our Sherman doesn't have glasses.  Actually,
Sherman does have a tail but it's only about a 1/2 inch long.

Laurel, could you post the publisher (Will be in the book with the
location and perhaps even the address) and the editor if that is present
(Authors often credit editors.) then those who want to could send notes
saying something like, "I heard about the gore involved in a false
portrayal of ferrets in _The Cheater_ so will be buying my books from
sources other than your publication house for a while and would not spend
hard earned money on that book." Some will want to, some won't, and I'm
not sure myself but it would give the option.

Boy, a person sure can tell when I have my asthma kicking up.  Here's
a clarification of something I wrote badly (Nawwwww... I'd never do
that... ;-)  I apologize for the problems the asthma can cause during
bad times in expressing myself and the difficulty of knowing when I'm
borderline:

>As for a lower protein levels in hopes of reducing kidney damage the last
>I heard it is not known if that bears out with older ferrets in general
>but it may with some individuals.  I have to confess, though, that I have

The answer was in reply to PREVENTATIVE use of low protein levels.  The
last I heard for ferrets there is not solid knowledge to support that.

When kidney disease is PRESENT then the protein levels need to be
reduced, of course.

>If a ferret isn't descented he smells no different than one that has
>been EXCEPT when he poofs.  Even then it's no worse than a person
>passing gas.  It clears quickly.

Agreed.

An exception is if a scent gland gets infected.  This can happen with
either ferrets that have their scent glands (as happened with a breeder
who came here after a mounting male put a canine through one of her eyes)
or with a bad descenting job which we haven't run into but some others
have.

>But stuff like peppermint, bergamot, citrus and suchlike -- is this okay?

We use essential oils to help blind and low vision ferrets navigate but
we always stick to oils of ONLY culinary sources in places they can
reach; even though I love looking things up it is easier to remember
that if I don't eat we won't use it.  Let it settle in well and keep the
amounts low enough or dilute it so that if the ferret is tempted to roll
in it then skin irritation won't occur.

One thing that sick ferrets and the very elderly often like for
environmental enrichment is to put edible herbs (a few chew but most
don't) into lunch bag size paper bags and then given them those
stink-sacks...