From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:19:52 -0400
Bruce Williams is very likely the single best pathologist in the world in
relation to ferrets and his work has consistently improved conditions and
treatments for ferrets.  I think that Bill Gruber's ideas for handling
Bruce's posts is logical and has the best chance of helping everyone's
ferrets.  Nor is Bruce one to discourage the use of a vet; when he was a
member of the Mysterious Illness Vet's List (now defunct due to no longer
being needed) he was the one who helped the most to devise rules designed
to not step on the toes of other vets.  Furthermore, Bruce constantly
reminds people to see vets, has helped educate vets who are wiling to
learn, etc.  We urge and have urged our vets to use him for consultations
(among others) when something is just too mysterious.

Having Bruce here is a gift.  He gets people to vets who might otherwise
have waited too long, eases unnecessary fears, and he shows others what can
happen so that they also know enough to respond in a fashion most likely to
give optimal health.  Those of us who have been here a long time are often
asked how we learned so much; part of that is mere experience, but part is
also because through the years there have been vets (Bruce, Karen, Debbie,
Hanan, Mike, Ben and others) who came on and taught us all in a clear,
concerned, and loving fashion -- that of a professional who adores ferrets
responding to those whose joys and fears are shared.

The posts of vets like Bruce simply ARE worth more to the list because of
the ferrets they save; I see nothing wrong with Bill receiving more than
three a day from such individuals, nor do I see anything wrong with Bill
using his own well-founded discretion to help him decide how many to
deliver on any given day.  No one knows the functioning of the FML as
well as Bill.  Frankly, I TRUST both Bill Gruber and Bruce Williams.
Like Bruce, Bill's presence is another gift to us all, but you all knew
that already (except maybe Bill who is too modest).

There have been times when a few rude individuals have driven vets
underground.  It has happened repeatedly in the past, either with
harassment, or through complaints because non-vets wanted to be treated
like medical experts (which none of us non-vets are), or who knows what
sort of destructive reason.  That loss of continued expert input can
actually kill ferrets by preventing people from being as informed as
they otherwise could be.  I have a lot of years with ferrets behind me;
normally, that would mean that I know a lot more from sheer level of
experience about care; Bruce levels the playing field, making others as
aware as we are of when to jump and when to have patience, which is really
great since it helps the ferrets and the people.  That helps our wonderful
newer members and saves their ferrets.  He also knows about things I've
never encountered like the kidney worms mentioned yesterday so I get to
learn, too, and that helps save our guys and improve their quality of life.
And, he likes to learn himself; look at how grateful he was to the cardiac
nurse who taught him yesterday.  Hopefully, abuse of vets and subsequent
loss of their participation will not happen again.  Let's all learn, and in
doing so let's all save ferrets.  When we receive a gift let's be grateful.

I think that the exception procedures as Bill devised them are absolutely
perfect.