From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 18:51:21 EST
Someone posted:
>the only way that I have been completely successful in eliminating this
>biting is to first encourage the ferret to bite (you can't change a
>behavior unless that behavior is first displayed).

I missed the beginning of this discussion, but I would say exactly the
opposite.  I have taken in a number of biters over the years and I agree
100% with the people who say that love and patience are the best ways to
get a ferret to become gentle.

I've only had one biting ferret who I really didn't trust after lots
of handling, and soon after, it was discovered she had a fast growing
malignant tumor in her chest area.  Most likely being picked up was
painful, along with her having a history of abuse.

As she grew more ill, she stopped biting and the only way she would eat
is by licking baby food off my fingers.  She has since died, but I would
give anything to have feisty little Daisy biting me again.

Ronnie