Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:23:52 -0700
You just have to love it when your ferrets have decided to paint your
kitchen floor metalic silver.

Let me give you a little intro to my week. On May 9th I am graduating
from college and am having a little party at my home. My husband has
all of a sudden decided to make a to-do list from hell. One of the
things on this to-do list is to paint the whole interior of my house,
minus the kitchen (it was done last year). Anywho, due to this, my
fur kids have been only able to run my kitchen. Yes, it is highly
ferret-proof. Well on top of 14 ferrets here we also have 6 cats and
all week we have been wondering which set of furry paws were going to
find their way into some wet paint. I really expected a cat to decide
to help paint as they were not as confined as the ferrets. At the end
of tonight we have one room left, and to our surprise no painted paws
yet......I just had to think that....jinks.

Well, since I only have one room the fur kids can run in, I have been
trying to stretch their play time as much as possible. So, instead of
putting all the kids away before I got ready for bed, I let a group of
three continue to play while I did my nightly ritual. Bad idea. During
this week, Miss Chica and Miss Rascal have discovered that they can
climb my kitchen chairs and get up onto my table. I didn't think
anything of it and left a small can of un-opened metalic silver paint
on the table. While brushing my teeth I heard a loud bang. So of
course, I dropped the toothbrush, mouth full of toothpaste and ran
downstairs into the kitchen. I found both Miss Chica and Miss Rascal
had pushed that can of metalic silver paint off my table and when it
hit the floor the lid popped off and the paint had gone all over my
floor and kitchen cabinets. Well in the seconds that it took for that
can of paint to hit the floor and me to run to the kitchen, both girls
had climbed back down the chairs and were playing in it.

I wish I would have had a camera near by. Picture a black sable and a
light brown sable with metalic silver paws and bellys standing in the
middle of a HUGE puddle of paint. I could have killed them. So, first
things first, clean the trouble makers and get them back in their cage.
They were not too happy with me as I held them under the water trying
to get all the paint off of them. Then to tackle the floor. Thankfully
it was only a pint of paint, but the can was full....never opened. What
a mess.

I thought I had done good keeping the ferrets from the paint. But you
can never under estamate the intellegence of these critters. Oh, the
third kid in that group...what a good boy. Porter just sat in his bed
watching as the two girls had their fun. Not once did he even try to
join in.

My husband during all this was already asleep in bed. I wonder what he
would have thought walking into the kitchen and finding that our wood
floors had been painted metalic silver or looking into the one cage
and finding two little girls painted silver?

Erin Ruggie's Ferret Rescue