From:
Robert McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 08:49:07 -0700
Cobra -

I had the same problem coupled with the fact that Makeba and Griffith still
managed to wriggle out of their collars and lose them all the time.  At $5 a
pop replacing them all the time was too expensive.  So for a while they ran
around without collars.  I never felt completely comfortable about that, I
was too nervous they'd get outside like your daughter's ferret did.  Beside,
I like to hear them and know where they are when they're running around.

Then a couple of months ago someone had a great idea and posted it here.  I
wish I could give credit where it's due, but I can't remember who it was.
What you do is go down to the hardware store and buy a length of ball chain,
the stuff used as pulls for lamps.  I found it in the lighting area of our
local Eagle Hardware.  Be sure to buy the connector that latches the ball
chain together.  Then take a quick trip to the craft store and buy a bag of
the small jingle bells, and a bag of the smallest split rings you find in
the jewelry supplies area.  Use the split rings to attach the bells and any
ID you have to the chain.  Cut the chain long enough so you can fit your
pinkie under it when it is on the ferret.  This should give him\her enough
room so if he gets the collar caught on anything, they can still wriggle out
without choking.  Use the connector to tie the ends of the chain together
and you have a simple, inexpensive collar

My ferrets much prefer these to the regular collars, the chain is small
enough if doesn't get it the way of their movements or look bulky around
their necks.  And I don't have to worry about nylon or leather shrinking.
Besides, for under $5 you can have enough supplies for 10+ collars, so if
they manage to lose them, big deal, just make another!

Hope this helps -

Robert (ferrettone dispenser)
Makeba (aka "Spazzgrrl")
Griffith (aka "Angelboy")