From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 16:14:35 -0500
>But lately, she's been wheezing and sneezing a lot.  Could she be allergic
>to the litter

Yes, if you are using regular clay litter or clumping litter, especially
anything scented, it gives off dust and fragrance that the little one can
easily be allergic to.  You would be amazed how much dust regular kitty
litter generates.

There are many kitty litter options available.  Feline Pine is one, though
it's a bit expensive.  My personal favorite for cats (if your kitty will use
it, not all will) is Stove Chow (wood pellets for wood stoves, comes under
different brand names) which you can obtain from Home Depot for $3.40 for 40
pounds (this is less than half the price of most kitty litters).  It is
similiar to Feline Pine, has slightly larger wood pellets.

Of all the gazillion kitty litters I've tried with my cats over the years,
this is by far my favorite for these reasons: it absorbs cat urine odor
better than anything else; it's very inexpensive; after it is scooped out
you can actually put the sawdust stuff in your yard (I put it under pine
trees or in the leaf pile); it does not generate dust like regular litter
does.  Cats are very picky about their litter box.  If you change litters
while she is young, she may accept it more easily (you can also try mixing
it with the other stuff gradually).

If she doesn't like this stuff (and there are other options too) you might
want to try a dust-free litter like Scamp.

-- Ronnie DiComo and pals
PS the only problem with Stove Chow is that it isn't available in the warm
months, you need to stock up in the spring.  Or if you live in a warm
climate where people don't use wood stoves, you can't get it.  :-(