From:
"Mrs. Duck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 20:29:59 -0500
Scott Lehman writes:

>He also stated that since the reaction was so severe that he recommended
>that he not receive another booster

Scott, I first want to tell you I am not a vet.  But I have had the same
problems with the FervacD vaccine in several of my ferrets over the past 5
years.  I was advised the same thing by a vet.  But I have decided to use
Galaxy D, a distemper vaccine NOT approved by the USDA for use in ferrets.
However, as many breeders do use this with success, I tried it.  My ferret
had NO reaction at all.  At least I can sleep at night knowing that he has
at least some degree of protection against distemper.

Distemper is airborne, and even though I was keeping him in the house, I was
afraid that even an open window could invite the virus in.  As I live near
some woods with lots of animals like skunks, deer, coons, etc., (I don't
know if these animals can carry distemper, but didn't want to take chances)
I wanted to be as safe as I could under the circumstances.

A lot of people have also said that they give a dose of Benadryl one hour
prior to the vaccine.  Also, try not to give distemper and rabies vaccines
at the same time.

Just food for thought.  You could bring the idea up with the vet and see
what he thinks.

-Mrs. Duck