From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:25:32 -0500
A discussion of the signs of lead poisoning in Issue 11:

  Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:51:13 -0000
  From: "Dr. Bruce Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
  Subject: Re: Lead Poisoning question

A blood lead test would be helpful in this case, but I am not thinking lead
as the likely cause of his symptoms.  Lead may do a number of things in the
body, but clotting dysfunction is generally not though of as one of them.

Acute lead poisoning is not commonly seen, most cases are the result of a
chronic intoxication.  Plus this ferret would have to ingest significant
amounts of paint chips.  Simply being in a room with lead based paint is
not generally enough.

In most cases of poisoning in small animals, anemia is the most common
presenting sign, followed by neurologic dysfunction.  Lead interferes
with the development of new red blood cells.  GI signs can be seen in
acute ingestion of large amounts of lead.

A cursory review of the literature does not reveal a documented case of
plumbism (lead poisoning) in ferrets - not to say that it has never
happened.

Bloodwork would be very helpful - a CBC to document anemia, a platelet
test, and a chemistry to screen the other organs.  We would be very
interested to hear the results of the blood lead test.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM

Join the Ferret Health List at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list