From:
Cindy Michou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 17:33:49 -0900
I fully agree with Linda Iroff's post from yesterday.  I have to admit
that it rather stuck in my craw that the breeder could dump all those
ferrets onto the shelters and just walk away without some kind of
financial responsibility to help those who took them in.  It's not fair
to the shelters to have to shoulder the entire burden themselves.  I
wish the breeder could be taken to small claims court, unfortunately
she didn't do anything illegal just immoral.  That being said, is there
anything that we, as a ferret community can do the prevent this from
happening again?  New shelter rules for large surrenders?  Charge a fee
of some kind?  Of course it won't be enough to cover the total cost but
would help to defray a little which would be better than nothing.

Are there some other shelters that are near by that could help by taking
a few of the ferrets so that they're spread out a little better between
resources?  What can we as a ferret community do to help these shelters,
besides sending money to SOS for them?  Any ideas?  It would be neat if
everyone who reads the FML would send $1 to $2 each to SOS to be sent to
those shelters that have taken these ferrets in.  Just a thought.

Hugs and Dooks,
Cindy Michou
Hiland Ferrets