From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 01:48:40 -0500
Debbie said:
>I have been to many and noted as many as 30 ferrets at sleep, eating and
>playing together.  They keep them as 2-5 or more in one cage.  Their
>residence could be from 1 month to a year in this situation.  A customer
>comes in and is advised they are able to adopt one.  The one he picks has
>been a cage mate for many months.  Does the shelter advise this can cause
>stress to the others?"

How many shelters is many?  Because honestly, to me..it doesn't sound like
you know too much about how most shelters operate in terms of how the
animals are caged, and the way they are adopted out.  I'm sure there are
exceptions, and apparently you've found them, but nearly all the shelters
that I know of keep cage mates together not only in the shelter, but when
they are adopted out as well.  This isn't just a preference, at least at
our local shelter it's a strict policy.

If a large group of cage mates comes in together..they are adopted out
together, no exceptions.  This may mean that it takes longer to find a
home that will take multiple ferrets but it does happen, and it IS in the
animal's best interest.  It also makes a difference if the animal is
suffering from some kind of ailment to begin with, as many animals brought
into the shelter are, and how long the ferrets have been bonded together as
to how much stress that animal is going through.  Why cause them any more
grief, or risk their well being if you don't have to?

As far as how long a ferret may be in residence in a shelter while bonding
with other ferrets, this can be weeks to months, to years..to forever.  Are
you suggesting that all ferrets who come in without cage mates should be
kept separate from all the other ferrets without any other ferrets to play
with until the day they are adopted?  How realistic does that sound to you,
especially in a shelter like our local shelter that has over 50 ferrets?
Having a ferret mingle, play and even sleep with other ferrets doesn't
automatically make them bonded.

Yes, a ferret can be stressed out by the loss of a cage mate, but I think
that is putting it a bit mildly.  And like people, every ferret is
different and will react differently from the loss of a cage mate.  I know
there have been ferrets who have passed away in your household, have none
of your other ferrets shown any signs of grieving?  Perhaps it makes a
difference since your business really haven't been together for much more
than a year, and some less than that.

I know for a fact (because I've seen it myself), that ferrets who have been
bonded for even short periods of time can grieve to the point of making
themselves quite ill despite any special care they are given to help ease
the process.  You can give as much duck soup as you want to, but it cannot
mend a broken heart.  If you don't believe that it's possible for a ferret
to grieve to this extent, you're mistaken.

The examples that you gave honestly..make no sense and don't really support
the point you're trying to make.  There is a difference between bonded
animals, and those who are forced to be together and fight, and when some
people offer to split up their ferrets for adoption it is often because
they had two separate groups of ferrets to begin with.  Households with
larger businesses often have two separate out times for their groups, and
separate living quarters.  While they all live in the same family, these
are not necessarily bonded animals.  More often than not when someone tries
to find their ferrets a new home, if they care at all about the animals,
they refuse to let them go to any home where they won't be kept together.

Yes, you can separate bonded ferrets if you feel you must, even though you
know it's not in their best interest, and you can belittle the stresses all
you want to.  I don't think it's wise to advocate however, that it's all
right for other people to do so.

Robynn and the toothsome threesome