From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 13:53:56 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Roberto <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: The right anesthesia
>I need to know the correct anesthesia in case the "gas" is not available
>and the correct dose!  My vet suggested to use ketamine! ...

The right anesthesia is isoflurane gas anesthesia.  Injectables can be used
but the prolonged recovery may cause profound hypothermia in your small pet.
My personal opinion (to minimize the flame responses) is that if your vet
does not have gas anesthesia, you need to find another vet.

>From:    Barbara Bidot <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vets: To descent or not to descent...
>I have recently lost my beloved Murray about a week ago.  He was admitted

Typically, neutering or spaying your ferret will decrease the odor enought
that descenting is not needed.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA