From:
Harry Silvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 12:40:56 -0400
(We sent the following to them and hope that ALL FML subscribers do too)

We are very disappointed !!

The consumers are expecting The Ferret Store to be the place to purchase
ONLY those products that are good for their ferrets!  Yet!!

You Said:
"While it is our full intention to provide ferret owners with the highest
quality products and the largest variety, we have decided not to remove
these products at this time. It is our opinion that the simple removal
of these items will not cause the manufacturers to stop production, but
will merely shift the purchasing of these products on the consumer level
from one store or online retailer to another where they are available."
++++++++

It is then the stated policy of the Ferret Store, to go after profits
over the well being and health of the ferrets.  In other words the "ALL
MIGHTY DOLLAR," over the health of the ferrets Your timed removal of
these products as well as PetSmart & PETCO, would in essence have made
these products disappear as the three of you pretty well drive the pet
market.

Your stated policy is then, to carry products and sell them to consumers
knowing that they may (are) harmful to the ferrets.  Thank goodness you
do not sell baby food!!!!

You go on to say:
"Instead, we believe that consumer education is the key to promoting
healthy alternatives in food and treats.  With that in mind,
TheFerretStore.com will begin to list ingredients, guaranteed analysis,
and feeding instructions for food and treats on our website.
Additionally, all natural and healthy treats will be marked by an icon
along with treats that do not contain sugar.  This way, the information
we provide about the product can be used by the consumer to make an
educated decision whether to feed that type of food or treat or not.
It is with education that these products will eventually make their way
off the store shelves, not by protest."

What a cop out!  Just the pencil pushers and bean counters saying, "Well
we gave you the information, you the consumer are responsible for reading
the tiny print on the label, understanding what the ingrediants are and
going to the web site to find out how harmful these products really are.
You have taken the corporate low road.

My hope is that someone sets up a sponsored web site similar to:
www.paypalwarning.com

As well as a couple of others for them as well as other sites that are
anti, Riso, Wal-Mart, HH Gregg, K-Mart, etc.  Few national companies
have weathered this from happening on the internet and for the most
part the courts have agreed that they are free speach.  I saved a lot
of money and pain by looking at the anti-Just Brakes site not too long
ago.  Some make interesting reads.  The most effective are those that
as I said are sponsored and pop up under the companies web site!!!

Harry C. Silvis
Kennesaw, Georgia

P.S.  - It is going to be interesting if PetSmart & PETCO follow this
reasoning or just slowly remove the products.  I do not claim to be an
optimist!