From:
AarrowRanch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:57:29 -0400
That loose ferret near my stream has been caught! I was correct in
as much as it was a ferret and it was eating cat food left out for
neighbors cats.

Early this morning that neighbor called me in a very exciting tone
stating there was 'that ferret' in her yard and was eating the cat food
off her deck. The ferret would get on the deck, take a mouth full of
kibble and retreat back to the edge of her basement to chow down.

I immediately got dressed and went over to the neighbor's house which
is about 4 houses down the street, actually another street that
intersects with mine. I very carefully and quietly opened her fence
and made way to the back yard.

There it was! She was busy chomping on kibble. I knew this was the only
time I would have a chance to catch this animal so was very slow and
cautious. All at once she spotted me and froze. That was a good sign.
If she ran it would have been a trial to get her where the back of this
yard again butts up against the woods and I would have to scale a tall
chain link fence to pursue.

With the ferret frozen in its tracks I began talking in soft easy tones
to it. No fast movements now, just talk. I did this for about 10
minutes, this seemed to at least not bother her so I began a slow
approach still talking bit stopping frequently to help maintain the
frozen state.

I got right up to her and she began to bunch up which may have been
a prelude to a bolt. I just kept talking and keeping my eyes on her.
Slowly I leaned down and began to reach out, she remained frozen. We
both kept our eyes glued to each other's eyes, I kept talking to her
and just gently grasped her about the middle while talking to her.

Success ! I had her !

The neighbor came out happy I got the ferret, more so where it was
eating up cat food her cats needed. Sheesh, how much can a ferret eat
in a day?

Then she said another neighbor told of a person that was searching for
a 'loose' ferret. We phoned that now third neighbor who remembered the
name of the person seeking the animal. We looked in the phone book and
found more than a dozen names of the same spelling. Sheesh! Ok, hunt
is on again .

So we began to call each and every one. After many attempts we found
someone who did loose a ferret and in this area ! They had the ferret
in the car with them and was dropping stuff of at a Salvation Army
Collection point. The ferret must have escaped while the door was open
and no one noticed for a bit giving the animal time to scoot off to
shrubs and hiding.

The ferret wandered around being trapped by that stream and roads,
which really does not stop them at all but the stream seemed to keep
at least a more narrow wander area. That is why it was in my back yard
about 1/4 mile from the drop off point. So it never did move far off
but did wander around behind a dozen or so houses. It was extremely
lucky a big snake, and there are many here, didn't have it for lunch !

So the owned came with a carrier. She was happy as one can get to have
her fuzzy back. It was a very happy reunion and for sure being loose
in the car will never happen again. Was a simple error in judgment that
nearly cost the ferret but a happy ending did happen. Made me happy too
!

Word to the wise, a ferret can escape in a heart beat. Has happened to
me several times. If the animal is loose, be sure to have your eyes ON
the animal before opening a door or closing a door. Either way that
door can end the life of a much valued fuzzy friend.

Gordon, Peekaboo and Pester

Aarrow-Ranch Aviation
Mechanicsville, Virginia, 23111
USA