From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 12:53:15 -0500
I was in Boston last week and got a look at what OSHA calls a Material
Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), which is required to be filled out and provided by
the manufacturer for all hazardous materials.  Then I called the number for
American Wood Fibers listed in Ferrets USA, and was expecting to talk to the
Ferret Product Manager.  Ah, but too many had apparently come before me and
he has now been replaced by a recording !!  So, I left my message and have
not as yet heard back.  :-(

While I was pondering this though, (and wondering how a substance gets to be
officially designated as 'hazardous' in the first place so that fuzzies and
the rest of us can be protected), it hit me that perhaps we are going about
this the wrong way.  Instead of trying to 'push on the string', we should be
up front and pulling where we want it to go.  Rather than chastising a poor
shopkeeper trying to make a buck <insert flame here>, causing a lot of hard
feelings on both sides and maybe getting thrown out to boot, why not show
them a better way ??

What we need is a colorful brochure or brochures to give them, with pictures
of what we would LIKE to see in a cage.  Perhaps even a 'Country Cages'
theme, or cages decorated up for the holidays.  Maybe Ethan Ferret Cage
Furniture <G>.

The Fuzzies would be much happier in their new 'model homes', owners and
potential owners would have an image of how ferrets should be cared for, and
Pet Store owners could also make some money from selling better cages as
well as all the accessories.

What does everyone think, and how could we do this ???