Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 20:53:29 -0500
Many thanks to Trish, Alicia & Melissa who took the time to answer my post
about Tyler and his back injury personally - your advice basically echoed
that of Dr. Klein, and is mostly what we have been doing.  (Glad to know
we've been doing the right things!) And thank you to those who posted
answers on the FML.

The cage Tyler is in is VERY small - more of a carrier than anything else,
with just enough room for him, his supper dish, a water bottle, and a couple
of soft "blankies." I can't take him out of the ferret room to a quieter
area - he gets antsy when he can't see any of the other ferts, and when he
gets agitated, he tends to flop around.  No good.  So he's where he can see,
but can't be climbed on.

For those who might not know, Tyler is one of my "snow babies" - the kids I
picked up during "The Great El Paso Blizzard of January 1997" who had a
great time stinking up the inside of my car on the long, careful drive home.
He's the one who really stunk up the clinic while under anesthesia while he
was being neutered.  (Wheeeeeeeee!) Three of the snow babies (Sneakers,
Roxie and Mindy) have already been adopted out to good homes.  If Tyler
never regains complete mobility in his back legs, he'll likely become one of
my permanent residents - which means Mycroft will probably be stuck with me
too ;-) since they're pretty close buddies.  They don't want to play/wrestle
with each other so much, but they fuss whenever one doesn't know where the
other is.

The injury to his back happened, I think, when he got bounced a little too
hard in the wrong way by Rhodri - my "Chocolate Moose" of a ferret - who
outweighs Tyler almost 2:1.  Tyler and Rhodri were always wrestling with
each other, bouncing off the walls and other ferrets, until Tyler would let
loose with his "unfair advantage" and Rhodri would retreat in disgust to air
out.

Dr. Klein did a re-evaluation of him Tuesday.  Most of his spine looks
absolutely perfect on Xray - except for one small area.... one disc is
obviously compressed, and that's where the nerves are being pinched.  She
gave him another shot of Dexamethasone, and I've given orders to the rest of
the family that I am the only one allowed to handle him until further
notice.  Dr. Klein also gave me some oral Dex, and he's getting 2 tablets
daily.  He seems to respond better and faster to it than to the oral Pred.

He was having problems with circulation in his toes Sun/Mon (they were cold,
semi-rubbery feeling and the pads were pale), so Monday night I let him soak
in some warm water - just deep enough to float his hips and back legs, while
he could still touch bottom with his front feet.  I kept my hand close the
whole time, so he couldn't "sport" in the water.  It helped - his toes have
been warm and pinkish since.  I have Dr. Klein's approval to repeat the soak
when necessary - AS LONG AS Tyler is not allowed to swim or otherwise exert
himself yet.  If nothing else, it will provide an occasional safe diversion
for him - so that he's not completely bored 24/7.  It also helps me keep him
clean until he can use a litter pan again.  (and, it makes him feel like he
has my undivided attention for a while - he sleeps better after his soaks.)

And, it looks now like the injury isn't as bad as we had originally feared.
He's already trying to move his legs, and is able to stretch them out when
you tickle the backs of his thighs!  (I think he's tired of confinement, and
is trying to heal as quickly as possible so that I'll let him out.  We'll
see what Dr. Klein says when he goes in next Saturday for another checkup.
Until then, I'm afraid he's SOL ;-) )

Carla S.
WhyNot? Ferrets
Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club