Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 28 May 1994 21:23:48 -0400
Someone (sorry, I already deleted the message.... Shelley, maybe?) asked about
introducing a new ferret to one which had been an only ferret for some time....

        All I can say is, "take it slow!"  We got our new kit and thought he
was so adorable we just had to introduce him to our older ferret right off...
We (my fiance and I) both sat down on the floor, with the older ferret between
us, and held the new guy (who at 6 weeks was MUCH larger) up to her to sniff...
she took one sniff, and then bit him on the nose and wouldn't let go.  It took
some time before they got over that initial meeting.
        Having learned my lesson, I'd say you should try and keep
them separate for a while, but pass things between them with each others scents
(so, if old ferret has a favorite shirt, give the new guy a shirt, and then
switch after a couple days so they can get used to one another's scent....)
        It will probably take some time before an only-ferret gets used to
their being an "animal" trying to hang out with her...  We went through a
couple months of daily power struggles, before our two finally settled down to
more normal playing.  (that probably wouldn't have been the case had the older
ferret been clearly dominant... but while she's smarter, she weighs a lot less
and the new kit (the big oaf!) would just sit on her...  It might be easier for
 you if your new addition *doesn't* tower over the older ferret!)

- Rochelle