From:
"Michelle P." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 3 May 1994 21:44:49 -0400
Hi All in Ferret-ville,

This is going to be pretty long winded but please hang on, there is a reason
behind it....

About a month and a half ago, I went down to our city municipal
building for official documents concerning Ferrets in our area.
Specificlly for an article I was doing which was going into our local
newspaper on Ferrets, It was suppose to be (atleast that is what I
wanted) nothing but important Ferret information, to help the public
and Ferret owners be more aware of the facts. As it turned out it they
chose to do it about me, and my crew, and left out every thing
important, it was full of misprints, and they even published my address
without my permission....I was swomped with all kinds of nutty phone
calls for a month! Including a strange man asking in a low and scary
voice "Do you have a special friend for me? You know what I mean don't
you?" Anyway, off on a tangent again, Back to the municpal building,
(Some may recall this story) I told the lady in the office what I
needed, she then proceded to basiclly climb me up one side and down the
other, saying that Ferrets are WILD and should all be set free back
into the wilds were they came from, and that Ferrets CANNOT be
vaccinated for Rabies, And that NO ferret can EVER be totally tamed,
also that all ferrets are usually kept in small BIRD like cages and
abused.

Well we had it out for about an hour, I left steamed and very sure that
this lady needed educated!  Did I fail to mention that this lady is
also the President of the Humane society in our area?.... Yep she is!
Scary huh?

Well before I left I had given her my business card, invited her to my home
to see how Responsable, and dedicated Ferret people take care of theirs.  She
never showed!

Any way, off to the reason why I am writing this long winded
letter.....

A couple of days ago she called me and wanted to know if I would like
to go on a radio talk show with her, Topic of course...Ferrets!  And I
imagine that it will come down to a basic debate since she is so set in
believing false facts.  What I want to know is if any one here has had
to handle a woman like this, if so any advice? I get angry fast with
ignorant people when it comes to my babies!

I can debate facts all day long, but I want to be as prepaired as I can be.
I'm very nervous being that I will be on live radio, and I've never had a
public debate! Wich is enough stress, without having to deal with her downing
my 'kids'.

She's suppose to call this weekend to discuss the format of the show,
questions that are going to be asked and so forth. The show is set for May
10th, for an hour.......I just do NOT trust her.  I have a feeling its going
to be a "Down with Ferrets as Pets...show"

I considered backing out of it, but If I can get some "Factual" information
out to just a handful of people it WILL be worth it and I'll take all the
abuse she throws my way for that reason.

Well if any one has any advice it would be appreciated greatly!

Thank you Ann, and Troy Lynn for what you've given me to this point, and what
is in the mail....You BOTH walk on water in my eyes!:-)

P.S.  I plan on mentioning the Media Blitz if I'm ALLOWED, and the situation
of the McDowells.

Michelle...Nervous leader to The MASKeteers:-)